Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    2,083

    Default Re: Plumbing in a Calorifier

    Can be worth putting simple self adjective insulation form around the pipes. It won't solve the problem when you first use the hot water after a while but it will help after dinner when using it on and off regularly.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    206

    Default Re: Plumbing in a Calorifier

    Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    If you don't already have one, fit a thermostatic mixing valve to the calorifier.
    I have been meaning to do this - do you have any recommendations, or is there any kind I need?

    I have a Sigmar marine calorifier / boiler, looks a lot like this: https://www.svb24.com/en/sigmar-mari...er-heater.html

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    36,136

    Default Re: Plumbing in a Calorifier

    Quote Originally Posted by KompetentKrew View Post
    I have been meaning to do this - do you have any recommendations, or is there any kind I need?

    I have a Sigmar marine calorifier / boiler, looks a lot like this: https://www.svb24.com/en/sigmar-mari...er-heater.html
    You need a thermostatic valve, plus the various fittings and pipe needed to make it work. For your Sigmar calorifier, there's a Sigmar mixer valve kit, see https://www.svb24.com/en/sigmar-mari...xer-valve.html

    The webpage above includes a download link for the installation manual.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    1,782

    Default Re: Plumbing in a Calorifier

    Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    You need a thermostatic valve, plus the various fittings and pipe needed to make it work. For your Sigmar calorifier, there's a Sigmar mixer valve kit, see https://www.svb24.com/en/sigmar-mari...xer-valve.html

    The webpage above includes a download link for the installation manual.
    Your recommendation to fit a thermostatic mixer valve is correct and I am not disagreeing with you, your advice is always good, but I would like to add a variation that I have installed. I fitted the TMV in the water supply to the heads to protect from scalding when washing/showering, set at 40 degrees, but left the hot water supply to the galley un-mixed. I found that the first 6 seconds of cold water into the washing up bowl was just the right amount to mix with the subsequent full heat water when it came through to give just the right temperature for washing the dishes. This meant I wasted less water.

    Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    Last edited by Plum; 14-07-19 at 19:56.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    36,136

    Default Re: Plumbing in a Calorifier

    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Your recommendation to fit a thermostatic mixer valve is correct and I am not disagreeing with you, your advice is always good, but I would like to add a variation that I have installed. I fitted the TMV in the water supply to the heads to protect from scalding when washing/showering, set at 40 degrees, but left the hot water supply to the galley un-mixed. I found that the first 6 seconds of cold water into the washing up bowl was just the right amount to mix with the subsequent full heat water when it came through to give just the right temperature for washing the dishes. This meant I wasted less water.
    That's another solution. I don't do much dishwashing - tending to use microwave meals a lot! My wife thinks it's appalling...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,856

    Default Re: Plumbing in a Calorifier

    Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    That's another solution. I don't do much dishwashing - tending to use microwave meals a lot! My wife thinks it's appalling...
    Just for interest, what powers your microwave?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    36,136

    Default Re: Plumbing in a Calorifier

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Just for interest, what powers your microwave?
    Shorepower usually.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    206

    Default Re: Plumbing in a Calorifier

    Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    You need a thermostatic valve, plus the various fittings and pipe needed to make it work. For your Sigmar calorifier, there's a Sigmar mixer valve kit, see https://www.svb24.com/en/sigmar-mari...xer-valve.html

    The webpage above includes a download link for the installation manual.
    Nice! Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to