Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Jabsco Manual Loo hose replacement becoming a saga

Think if I can retrieve the head and not turn it into a sail locker I am going to rip out the white stuff and replace with the butyl - life is too short to have a hate relationship with your bog when often it is the only place to find peace for a few minutes each day.
    Fools know they are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooka View Post
    Spent best part of yesterday wrestling to replace the 38mm waste hose on our Jabsco loo. Wasn’t looking forward to it because I thought it might be a mucky job, but had no idea how bloody difficult to manipulate the cheap white sanitation hose is - arms are literally bruised from hand to shoulder - seems like I should have read here first and gone for the nice squidgy butyl type.

Anyway, after a futile couple of hours trying to get the last joint over the seacock tail without being able to address it directly because the hose was slightly offset by the toilet bowl, I removed the bowl. Those in the know will doubtless be chuckling as they will know that when I had undone the last nut and dislodged the bowl the bolts fell tink, tink, tink, tink into the jabsco base unit. Flip! So now I have lovely new shiny hose but a toilet bowl I can’t refit. I really don’t want to remove the base unit as I fear the same will happen with those bolts and I can find no way to access the underside to refit them, which to me looks like it means ripping the whole heads apart. But before I depress myself contemplating that prospect, is there a trick worth trying to retrieve the bolts from within the base unit - I can see them all sitting there- perfectly aligned, winking at me. I have thought maybe a piece of rod with superglue on the end to pull them through and slip the nut down?

Help - please!
    What material is that base unit? Just drill four new pilot holes 20mm to one side of the existing ones and either screw the heads(loo) down using stainless coach screws ( big self tapers) as in post 4 or tap a thread into that base unit and screw in. Leave the old bolts where they are

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    Last edited by Plum; 12-07-19 at 21:59.

How I would lift a nut
    Source a long bolt and nut with the correct thread
    Lightly oil the long bolt
    Run the new nut up the long bolt
    Apply some wood glue or Gorilla glue to the end few threads of the long bolt
    Carefully insert the long bolt down into the hole till it meets the lost nut
    Apply some down pressure on the long bolt and slowly screw till you feel the two mate
    Lift the long bolt till the lost nut meets the under side of the hole
    Screw down the new nut till it is tight on the top side of the hole
    Leave till glue has set
    Unscrew the new nut
    Gently unscrew and extract the long bolt
    Clean the long bolt
    One down three to go
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Beautiful. But it’s the bolts I need to retrieve.

Btw. In case this one runs, what is the other end to the head of a bolt called?

Dont know. , Give up. What's it called ?

Are you sure you cannot remove the screws holding the base down to the plinth, or whatever it sits on. If there is no access ( a removable panel perhaps) there are not likely to be hidden nuts

Shit!
    Just looked at IPB, can't you put your fingers / long nose pliers into the hole in the middle and pull them out / feed them back up?
    If you can, put some thin wire or tape round them above the hole to stop them dropping. You can pull out the wire or tape when you have a nut on.

Jabsco.png
    Last edited by LadyInBed; 13-07-19 at 01:04.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Shit!
    Just looked at IPB, can't you put your fingers / long nose pliers into the hole in the middle and pull them out / feed them back up?
    If you can, put some thin wire or tape round them above the hole to stop them dropping. You can pull out the wire or tape when you have a nut on.
    The hole in the middle is where the waste goes. The bolts are not in there they have fallen into the space under the base. When assembling the toilet they are accessed by turning the whole thing upside down. The only way of now getting at them is to remove the base from the plinth, or whatever it is mounted on, and then refitting the bowl onto the base

See this Jabsco Tech video at 2.01

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Dont know. , Give up. What's it called ?
    Apparently, it is the chamfer.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Are you sure you cannot remove the screws holding the base down to the plinth, or whatever it sits on. If there is no access ( a removable panel perhaps) there are not likely to be hidden nuts
    That sounds most likely to me Vic. If there is no access panel then the nuts will surely be glassed in or will be screwed into a helicoil/tappex type of fitting in the grp/ply, if not even just self-tapped.

Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12