Default Volvo Penta d1 -20 help?

Our Volvo Penta has overheated again just while we were motorsailing after about an hour or two, no big deal just switched it off and sailed back to let it cool down albeit A lot slower without the donk.

The boat was heeled on starboard with the exhaust on port but nothing excessive were talking 10-15 degrees at most

Water is and was at the time flowing ok, not really much else I could check while underway

When moored up the exhaust water is warmer than the sea so it must be flowing through the heat exchanger with the thermostat open? I could take the thermostat out and Into a pan to test but if warm waters coming out I suspect itís working???

I did clean some mud from the water strainer but it didnít look significant and the water was flowing

Ive checked for air locks and that all seems ok

Just want to know what else I can check as it seems fine now with everything working ? But there must be something somewhere.

Default Re: Volvo Penta d1 -20 help?

Impeller ok? A blade or two broken will reduce the flow through heat exchanger but flow out exhaust may look ok. Partially blocked heat exchanger tubes? Faulty overheat alarm sensor? Did alarm sound? You said you switched engine off to let it cool, what happens if you reduce the revs on engine when it overheats, does it cool then? Yes you could test the thermostat, just remember it's not a sea water cooled engine, so does it loose any coolant or does any coolant overflow into bilge?

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Sailing View Post
    Our Volvo Penta has overheated again just while we were motorsailing after about an hour or two, no big deal just switched it off and sailed back to let it cool down albeit A lot slower without the donk.

The boat was heeled on starboard with the exhaust on port but nothing excessive were talking 10-15 degrees at most

Water is and was at the time flowing ok, not really much else I could check while underway

When moored up the exhaust water is warmer than the sea so it must be flowing through the heat exchanger with the thermostat open? I could take the thermostat out and Into a pan to test but if warm waters coming out I suspect it’s working???

I did clean some mud from the water strainer but it didn’t look significant and the water was flowing

Ive checked for air locks and that all seems ok

Just want to know what else I can check as it seems fine now with everything working ? But there must be something somewhere.
    I would start by thoroughly checking out the seawater circuit , looking for any reason that might be causing a reduced flow.:-
    Inlet, strainer, internal condition of hoses, pump impeller, obstruction by auxiliary cooler(s) eg gearbox cooler, if applicable, state of water injection into the exhaust outlet elbow.
    Also check the cleanliness of the heat exchanger tubes.

You could test the thermostat. It should just start to open at 90C Ī 2C and be fully open at 102C.

Start with the things that are easy to do and cost little or nothing and progress toward those that are more difficult or will involve expense

When we had our D1-30 fitted, the installer said that sometimes the water header tank needs to be raised up on a custom bracket and that the only weak we would know would be if it overheated while motoring healed over. From what I can tell the tank only needs to go up by about 100 mm or so. This only matters to you if your engine is fresh water cooled.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    I would start by thoroughly checking out the seawater circuit , looking for any reason that might be causing a reduced flow.:-
    Inlet, strainer, internal condition of hoses, pump impeller, obstruction by auxiliary cooler(s) eg gearbox cooler, if applicable, state of water injection into the exhaust outlet elbow.
    Also check the cleanliness of the heat exchanger tubes.

You could test the thermostat. It should just start to open at 90C Ī 2C and be fully open at 102C.

Start with the things that are easy to do and cost little or nothing and progress toward those that are more difficult or will involve expense
    The strainer was dirty with mud and other debris, would that be enough to overheat or restrict the flow? I did clean it but didnít think that was the culprit, as the flow is not noticeably different

I may put the old impeller back in, since Iíve had the new one Iíve had this happen twice now

I may put the old impeller back in, since I’ve had the new one I’ve had this happen twice now
    Is the new impeller the correct type?

The overheat alarm on the D1-30 we had used to go off quite a lot, invariably when we were pissing about between locks in the canal, stopped as soon as we gave it some work to do. At the time I was convinced that running very light or out of gear for a while did not suit it, adjusting the min. revs up a bit seemed to cure it.

Yeah it is the right one, Iíve had the heat exchanger open and the thermostat and all look good

how long under load does it take for a sailboat engine to get hot? Iím just wondering if there is low flow through the saildrive leg maybe?!? And motor sailing Iím not pushing the engine so the flow rate is lower anyway (i was only around 1700rpm)

Yeah it is the right one, I’ve had the heat exchanger open and the thermostat and all look good

how long under load does it take for a sailboat engine to get hot? I’m just wondering if there is low flow through the saildrive leg maybe?!? And motor sailing I’m not pushing the engine so the flow rate is lower anyway (i was only around 1700rpm)
    You cannot tell much about a thermostat by looking at i unless it is physically broken or stuck open.. You may need to test that it opens at the specified temperature or at least check that it is just about fully open in boiling water.

The inlet or passage through the saildrive could be obstructed causing a restriction to the water flow.

At low revs you may not be pumping as much water through as you would at higher revs but lightly loaded there won't be so much waste heat to remove. Whatever the conditions from putting along with the engine doing little work to slogging along at full power the cooling system should be able to cope and control the engine temperature properly

Have you inspected the raw water pump impeller?
    How do you know it is the right one? Did you campare it with the old one?
    Last edited by VicS; 13-07-19 at 22:36.

By looking I meant I popped it in a pan of boiling water and watched it open, posting on mobile and proof reading with all the adverts is a nightmare!

The part number is the same on the impeller, I did find the sea cock slightly closed by (5mm) which must have got knocked slightly maybe thatís enough to cause restricted flow.

In all fairness I think I need to change that seacock because the handle sits at a strange angle when itís open so itís difficult to tell without doing boat yoga - itís on the list at next haul out.