Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Suffolk/Amsterdam
    Posts
    3,013

    Default Getting busier at Sixhaven

    Dutch season getting going now.

    It's not like it used to be though - the new pontoons replacing the boxes seem to have limited the options to get boats well and truly stacked up.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: Getting busier at Sixhaven

    Any idea if there are likely to be spaces during the week this week? We are due to arrive on Wednesday afternoon/evening and would love to get straight in.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    22,015

    Default Re: Getting busier at Sixhaven

    Quote Originally Posted by TLouth7 View Post
    Any idea if there are likely to be spaces during the week this week? We are due to arrive on Wednesday afternoon/evening and would love to get straight in.
    Turn up in the middle of the morning when boats are leaving. A couple of hours from Ijmuiden, or even less from the small YC between the lock and railway bridge to the East.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat in Summer!
    Posts
    5,438

    Default Re: Getting busier at Sixhaven

    Quote Originally Posted by TLouth7 View Post
    Any idea if there are likely to be spaces during the week this week? We are due to arrive on Wednesday afternoon/evening and would love to get straight in.
    Last season I used Amsterdam Marina a few times and booked a berth by phone or email each time to be sure of a space. Good marina on north side of canal. Free ferry to Central Station a 5 minute walk away. Takes away the hassle of moving!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: Getting busier at Sixhaven

    Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Turn up in the middle of the morning when boats are leaving. A couple of hours from Ijmuiden, or even less from the small YC between the lock and railway bridge to the East.
    Due to the tide times we are due to arrive Ijmuiden early afternoon. Would prefer to push straight on to Amsterdam so will be arriving (touch wood) late afternoon. I appreciate that this is the worst time to find a space but what can you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Athene V30 View Post
    Last season I used Amsterdam Marina a few times and booked a berth by phone or email each time to be sure of a space. Good marina on north side of canal. Free ferry to Central Station a 5 minute walk away. Takes away the hassle of moving!
    Thanks, I guess we will try Sixhaven and if that is full will divert here (or Aeolus?).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    22,015

    Default Re: Getting busier at Sixhaven

    Quote Originally Posted by Athene V30 View Post
    Last season I used Amsterdam Marina a few times and booked a berth by phone or email each time to be sure of a space. Good marina on north side of canal. Free ferry to Central Station a 5 minute walk away. Takes away the hassle of moving!
    But you'd miss all the fun. The last time we were there we used both Sixhaven and Aeolus, the latter being handier for shopping (and the brewery).

    Arriving late, my cold hands wouldn't work the Sixhaven touch-screen for payment and I couldn't get a ticket for the night. When the HM came I made my excuses and we tried the screen together. Again, I failed to make it respond, yet he had no difficulty, but at least he then believed me.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to