Default Getting busier at Sixhaven

Dutch season getting going now.

It's not like it used to be though - the new pontoons replacing the boxes seem to have limited the options to get boats well and truly stacked up.

Default Re: Getting busier at Sixhaven

Any idea if there are likely to be spaces during the week this week? We are due to arrive on Wednesday afternoon/evening and would love to get straight in.

Quote Originally Posted by TLouth7 View Post
    Any idea if there are likely to be spaces during the week this week? We are due to arrive on Wednesday afternoon/evening and would love to get straight in.
    Turn up in the middle of the morning when boats are leaving. A couple of hours from Ijmuiden, or even less from the small YC between the lock and railway bridge to the East.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat in Summer!

Quote Originally Posted by TLouth7 View Post
    Last season I used Amsterdam Marina a few times and booked a berth by phone or email each time to be sure of a space. Good marina on north side of canal. Free ferry to Central Station a 5 minute walk away. Takes away the hassle of moving!

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Turn up in the middle of the morning when boats are leaving. A couple of hours from Ijmuiden, or even less from the small YC between the lock and railway bridge to the East.
    Due to the tide times we are due to arrive Ijmuiden early afternoon. Would prefer to push straight on to Amsterdam so will be arriving (touch wood) late afternoon. I appreciate that this is the worst time to find a space but what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Athene V30 View Post
    Last season I used Amsterdam Marina a few times and booked a berth by phone or email each time to be sure of a space. Good marina on north side of canal. Free ferry to Central Station a 5 minute walk away. Takes away the hassle of moving!
    Thanks, I guess we will try Sixhaven and if that is full will divert here (or Aeolus?).

Quote Originally Posted by Athene V30 View Post
    But you'd miss all the fun. The last time we were there we used both Sixhaven and Aeolus, the latter being handier for shopping (and the brewery).

Arriving late, my cold hands wouldn't work the Sixhaven touch-screen for payment and I couldn't get a ticket for the night. When the HM came I made my excuses and we tried the screen together. Again, I failed to make it respond, yet he had no difficulty, but at least he then believed me.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

We arrived at Sixhaven around 18:30 local time on Wednesday and were just able to find a space. A larger yacht (38'?) came in half an hour later and decided they didn't fit. There is a sign at the entrance that says "No entry before 1200", which is also the time you have to leave by so not sure how quickly it fills up after that.

Last year we got delayed while waiting for the night convoy at Houtmankade basin. It got me wondering if you could just overnight there, then turn round and come out again next day.
    No facilities, but in an emergency, it could be useful.
    I did ask the bridge keeper but just got the Dutch shrug, nobody seemed to keep a check on transiting yachts, that I could see.

We used the Amsterdam marina mentioned below when we visited in 2017.
    Huge berths, enormous linear (four RN patrol vessels moored along there with bags of room to spare), excellent showers (and two baths!! Bath area has those funky windows that go clear at a touch of a button..... best to avoid whilst standing up unless you want to shock the whole of the marina!!), nice if expensive restaurant on site, launderette facility.
    Short walk to the ferry into Central Station.
    Prices very reasonable.
    Access whenever you wish.
    Having moored in both I have no idea why anyone would try and stuff themselves into Sixhaven with all that space close by.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -- Steven Wright