Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Ha'Pennypier grumble..

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    By the by, do you know why Trinity Terminal at Felixstowe is so called? I didn't

Turns out most of the land on which the port of Felixstowe is built is owned by Trinity College, Cambridge
    I did know that! My ex FIL worked for port as a designer many years ago. Sadly no longer with us, a nice bloke. He could see the cranes from his window, he always said that if all the cranes were in the ‘up’ position then we were in for a recession.
    Pardon?

I suspect the conditions weren't right for Reminder to get there, think she spent the night at Pinmill.

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    I did know that! My ex FIL worked for port as a designer many years ago. Sadly no longer with us, a nice bloke. He could see the cranes from his window, he always said that if all the cranes were in the ‘up’ position then we were in for a recession.

By the by, do you know why Trinity Terminal at Felixstowe is so called? I didn't

Turns out most of the land on which the port of Felixstowe is built is owned by Trinity College, Cambridge
    There are probably several strange ownerships around. I think most of the Naze and the Sokens used to belong to St Paul's.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    The port authority say they dont do booking at Ha'Pennypier ... but seems they do for some but not for others.
    I was there the other week and one chap was very grumpy. He'd booked a space on the inside to get some repairs done to his yacht, and a motorboat had taken his place and the owners had disappeared.

Over the lsat few years its gotten more and more busy. Time was we could always tie up and take the kids for an ice cream but nowadays we’d have to raft up.
    Pardon?

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    Over the lsat few years its gotten more and more busy. Time was we could always tie up and take the kids for an ice cream but nowadays wed have to raft up.
    And take then for a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    And take then for a beer
    I bet I’d still end up paying!
    Pardon?

The Pier website will answer some of the queries you raise.

My Uncle and his brother used to farm most of this land for decades. I had many childhood holidays there in the 50's

According to my cousin, Trinity College offered to sell them the farm (3000 acres) for 10 an acre. He turned the offer down as too expensive ! In the agricultural depression in the 30's, I believe.
    davidej

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast