Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Consultation on exhaust emissions on UK inland waterways

Quote Originally Posted by Croftie View Post
    Well put Mark

Only the boaters need opening locks everybody else mentioned could carry on with their enjoyment perfectly well without them and they are paying (unknowingly ) 50 % towards its upkeep.
    As for small boats not being a problem , just multiply those little problems by 4 or 5 thousand on the Thames alone..
    Its also the China Syndrome, why pick on me , when there are much worse offenders out there !
    Last edited by oldgit; 16-07-19 at 12:27.

got the ole 2 stroke fired up today and went for a pootle . Thats my years worth of smog quota
    Blame it on the boogie .

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Coochie View Post
    got the ole 2 stroke fired up today and went for a pootle . Thats my years worth of smog quota
    to do that properly. you need a really early Seagull, preferably with 15.1 mix and a dash more old sump oil for luck. just in case.
    Dreadful things and guaranteed to leave your car boot reeking of petrol for ever and ever .

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    to do that properly. you need a really early Seagull, preferably with 15.1 mix and a dash more old sump oil for luck. just in case.
    Dreadful things and guaranteed to leave your car boot reeking of petrol for ever and ever .
    Wonderful devices - if only because nobody wants to nick them...
    Nice big blades on the prop - excellent for cutting through the ever incerasing amount of weed on the River.
    Easier to start tnah modern small engines witn their short length of starting cord - a metre or so of 6mm line wrapped round the 'pulley' gets it going (eventually).....

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    Wonderful devices - if only because nobody wants to nick them...
    Nice big blades on the prop - excellent for cutting through the ever incerasing amount of weed on the River.
    Easier to start tnah modern small engines witn their short length of starting cord - a metre or so of 6mm line wrapped round the 'pulley' gets it going (eventually).....
    I find there are two types of Seagull motors.
    Those that start; and those that don't - ever!
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilson View Post
    I find there are two types of Seagull motors.
    Those that start; and those that don't - ever!
    invariably the latter.........and stinky car boot syndrome....
    Trick was to shut off fuel early and hope to completely drain carb bowl ...never worked of course. Working out when to shut the tap going ashore and still hope to have propulsion to get you to your destination was a black art and of course if you had no oars aboard, you had to somehow get the evil thing started again

As soon as you laid it down some fuel always dribbled onto car boot carpet.
    To my knowledge one or two went into davy jones locker in a fit of temper.
    Last edited by oldgit; 23-07-19 at 07:38.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    invariably the latter.........and stinky car boot syndrome....
    Trick was to shut off fuel early and hope to completely drain carb bowl ...never worked of course. Working out when to shut the tap going ashore and still hope to have propulsion to get you to your destination was a black art and of course if you had no oars aboard, you had to somehow get the evil thing started again

As soon as you laid it down some fuel always dribbled onto car boot carpet.
    To my knowledge one or two went into davy jones locker in a fit of temper.
    A 'Gull is a living thing, God wot. Treat it with reverence and kindness, possibly including some strange incantation and 'ye shall be rewarded'. I fine a liberal does of some Snake Oil also helps.
    Great to test on dry land and in a workshop - as the impeller is solid and doesn't require water.
    Remember, they were desinged for military use - cross one river and then be dumped, thus a tribute to British Engineering (now dead) that many of them still work.

As with any quirky device there are still faithful followers - including suppliers of parts -
    http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/
    https://www.sheridanmarine.com/boatyard/contact

This latter ls preserves another British 'anachronism' - the Freeman cruiser...

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    A 'Gull is a living thing, God wot. Treat it with reverence and kindness, possibly including some strange incantation and 'ye shall be rewarded'. I fine a liberal does of some Snake Oil also helps.
    Great to test on dry land and in a workshop - as the impeller is solid and doesn't require water.
    Remember, they were desinged for military use - cross one river and then be dumped, thus a tribute to British Engineering (now dead) that many of them still work.

As with any quirky device there are still faithful followers - including suppliers of parts -
    http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/
    https://www.sheridanmarine.com/boatyard/contact

This latter ls preserves another British 'anachronism' - the Freeman cruiser...
    Recently had a clear out of dads shed, must have been a dozen Seagulls in varying states of festering heap lying around.
    One or two actually ran.All snapped up on Ebay.
    Couple of really early ones.
    He did rebuild one (cobble together) using parts lying around, when I foolishly mentioned in passing was looking for a small outboard to power an inflatable.
    Quickly removed the davits from boat,no dinghy no need for outboard.
    Lucky escape. !

It might be enough to include visible exhaust smoke in the four yearly BSS.
    All too often we find ourselves stuck behind 40 foot palaces belching out smoke. The owners excuse (those that like to appear concerned) is often that the engines never get used hard enough. Well rubbish, if you can allude to affording a boat looking like its worth hundreds of thousands then pay someone to fix it or get us all banned!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12