Default Epoxy laminating in a new deck ? + loads more to come maybe :)

Before we start, yes i have once again lost my sanity, well never found it but hell,only live one and all that

Some will know i am after a new project and found a Fisher 37 that is infact a hull only. I have found it can be brought onto hard standing, which was the one down fall to me.

I am working on a few coats to get stuff done before i put my offer in and have a week before i meet up again with the seller to make it.

So first big job is a new deck, complete, I will be building i a new ply deck/beams etc with epoxy sheath etc etc

I need to work out the woven and epoxy weights for this, the ply is easy.

I may of missed it on ECF supplies in the UK but trying to see what thickness the woven/resin thickness needs to be. i am going with two 300grm laminations of wovn.

More so are there any books to read up on that i can learn more from. ???

So yes the Fisher is still on the books at the minute its a dream boat and a lifetime project, no rush but the fun of doing it, as with Khahsoggi, this is the next step for me.

Captain Faffer

Default Re: Epoxy laminating in a new deck ? + loads more to come maybe :)

Why epoxy rather than polyester?

Quote Originally Posted by davidej View Post
    Why epoxy rather than polyester?
    Epoxy is 4 times better if not more.

When I re decked my Stella I used 12mm ply & covered it with a single layer of 300 grm matt in West epoxy. There is no need to use additional layers of matt as it does not really provide muchmore strength provided the deck beams are close enough to prevent the ply flexing. If the ply flexes then I would suggest thicker ply or closer deck beams.
    On the underside I used a resin, but i cannot for the life of me remember what type. It was very "runny" rather like ordinary clear cuprinol. It had a "seeking" property a bit like vehicle antifreeze & gave a hard resinous finish to seal the ply properly. This prevents damp working its way upwards under the deck layer. (The fumes were very severe & I had to wear an air assisted face mask)
    I used it internally on the entire boat as I sheathed the complete hull.
    It also makes a good surface for white floor paint which is excellent for painting the underside.

For non slip, I used enamel paint ( over primer & undercoat) & sprinkled bird sand via a cooking seive on to it. When dry I hoovered up any sand that had not adhered & then applied another coat of paint. This gave excellent grip- far better than deck paint which, in my opinion, is rubbish.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Should you not start with designing an all weather cover that you can work under?

Quote Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
    Epoxy is 4 times better if not more.
    Yes, but a lot more expensive... When most of the work can be done with polyester. Only the mix of wood and resin favours epoxy. More toxic too..

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Yes, but a lot more expensive... When most of the work can be done with polyester. Only the mix of wood and resin favours epoxy. More toxic too..
    I generally agree, but I think what's proposed here is essentially a plywood deck with an epoxy/glass sheath. So not a huge volume of epoxy needed to coat the ply. Given the cost of half decent plywood, I'd think the extra spend on epoxy is worthwhile.
    If OTOH the name of the game is really a GRP deck over a non-structural plywood former, then I'd probably be thinking polyester or vinylester, and a lot more of it. Probably a foam sandwich approach.

One thing to watch for is to stop moisture getting between the wood & the resin layers. That is why I coated both sides of the timber. I have seen coated decks where the glass fibres have delaminated from the ply very easily with a decorators knife.( probably poorly bonded in the first place as well)
    I would query whether a polyester layer has the ability to prevent the egress of moisture as well as epoxy, or if there is any difference.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    When I re decked my Stella I used 12mm ply & covered it with a single layer of 300 grm matt in West epoxy. There is no need to use additional layers of matt as it does not really provide muchmore strength provided the deck beams are close enough to prevent the ply flexing. If the ply flexes then I would suggest thicker ply or closer deck beams.
    On the underside I used a resin, but i cannot for the life of me remember what type. It was very "runny" rather like ordinary clear cuprinol. It had a "seeking" property a bit like vehicle antifreeze & gave a hard resinous finish to seal the ply properly. This prevents damp working its way upwards under the deck layer. (The fumes were very severe & I had to wear an air assisted face mask)
    I used it internally on the entire boat as I sheathed the complete hull.
    It also makes a good surface for white floor paint which is excellent for painting the underside.

For non slip, I used enamel paint ( over primer & undercoat) & sprinkled bird sand via a cooking seive on to it. When dry I hoovered up any sand that had not adhered & then applied another coat of paint. This gave excellent grip- far better than deck paint which, in my opinion, is rubbish.
    That resin sounds like Gurit Eposeal 300.

May be worth going and watching some of the earlier episodes of Sail Life on You tube. The guy (Mads) is rebuilding a Warrior 38, and is making a very good job of it. One of the earlier jobs was replacement of quite a lot of the deck area