Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Insightful Reading Recommendation.... Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by beermonkey View Post
    Hi Andy, yes, I have read them all - and no, definitely not clever, hence having to read so much to help my much befuddled and limited mind!

I would add to that list anything by Christopher Hitchens (RIP) - guaranteed to make you think, if you want a recommendation (and something sure to be controversial) try this : The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice
    Good one. I do like Hitchens.

There are two kinds of people in the world, befuddled and deluded

stingo is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Todd View Post
    ****. This thread is going to cost me a fortune. Thanks everyone.
    {snip}
    I see 3 votes for Sapiens.
    Yep, my supply of beer tokens has been reduced by just over £50 due to this thread.
    Another vote for Sapiens.
    EDIT: I always buy my books secondhand off ebay because the books are so much cheaper than buying new.

Stingo... On your buying tip': I always go for the alt option on Amazon. Ebay didn't occur to me. Do you think it's cheaper?

Also, anyone, I'm looking for a recommendation on the influence of the tech giants on society and globalisation??

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Todd View Post
    Stingo... On your buying tip': I always go for the alt option on Amazon. Ebay didn't occur to me. Do you think it's cheaper?

Also, anyone, I'm looking for a recommendation on the influence of the tech giants on society and globalisation??
    Yep, I've found ebay.co.uk is cheaper; often you'll find deals with free postage.
    There's a book called something like Surveillance Capitalism. I have it on my kindle. The author goes on and on and on and zzzzzzz...... unnecessarily using words I've never heard off. Plus she keeps repeating herself.

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    Yep, I've found ebay.co.uk is cheaper; often you'll find deals with free postage.
    There's a book called something like Surveillance Capitalism. I have it on my kindle. The author goes on and on and on and zzzzzzz...... unnecessarily using words I've never heard off. Plus she keeps repeating herself.
    No... First, it's got to be readable! If it's your thing you might like The Value of Everything, Mariana Mazzucato.

PM sent.

Stingo...

On the first one I'll let you know. The second... I've spend a long time in Colorado and California on business and i think the results of Portugal's policy will turn out to be profound.

Quote Originally Posted by beermonkey View Post
    Capital in the 21 Century- Thomas Piketty
    This is on my reading list, as is 23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism, which is supposed to be quite good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0141047976

Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein

The Future of the professions :how technology with transform the world of human experts by Richard Susskind

Silent Spring by Rachel Carson (whole of ecolocy starts here!)

An Unexpected light by Jason Elliot (helped me make sense of the background to Afghanistan)

Trieste by Jan Morris (actually anything by her, travel writing that opens doors to understandings of culture,politics and history)

Published in 2012, so you could argue that it's out of date, Planet Ponzi by Mitch Feierstein is about how corrupt the banksters and gubbermunts are, but we already knew that. Despite only being half way through it, I am more shocked than expected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast