Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hi

Default Re: Hi

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Welcome to Scuttlebutt.

I believe that there is actually an East Coast Forum on YBW but I've never been there 'cos those guys are seriously hard core.

Richard
    Nah, seriously deep that forum, - in mud!

Welcome anyway.....
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

It is much more complicated between invisible hazards.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Worth remembering that there are only two kinds of East Anglian (to avoid arguments about the NE and Scotland) sailors - those who have gone aground and liars!

I proved it (again) last Sunday, off Harwich - concentrating on avoiding a gybe and failed to notice the decreasing depth on the echo sounder while cutting a corner! Fortunately we got off by pivoting on the keel and getting everyone on the same side to heel her slightly. Good job - we didn't fancy spending several hours tilted over at an uncomfortable angle waiting for the tide to come back!

When was that.. I missed the sight of you.

And yes we have gone ploughing.. In a Cat it was a tad difficult to heel over to get off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    When was that.. I missed the sight of you.

And yes we have gone ploughing.. In a Cat it was a tad difficult to heel over to get off.
    About 1pm; I was probably also worrying about getting past Stone Point, hence the tendency to try and cut corners! We made it, but with less depth than I like at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I wasn't me wot said that the Blackwater was a river, it was that MoodySabrey chap. I hadn't thought of it as a ria either but we live and learn, sometimes.
    In fairness to Roger, he just called it 'the Blackwater' which, him being, is absolutely spot on. That's the name. I think technically the Blackwater 'estuary' starts at Heybridge. I have seen that authoritatively somewhere but I suspect it doesn't matter a ……. It's just a great place for sailing, great for mussels, great for oysters, great for salt. I admit the Orwell is beautiful and canna be beat for that... well apart from that bridge.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

I am given to understand the Blackwater got it's name from back in Roman times. A patrol camped somewhere near Coggeshall and fetched water from the river... after which they all died leading to the idea the river was bad or "black" water.

Most likely there was a rotting carcas just upstream as the river is in fact very clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    I am given to understand the Blackwater got it's name from back in Roman times. A patrol camped somewhere near Coggeshall and fetched water from the river... after which they all died leading to the idea the river was bad or "black" water.

Most likely there was a rotting carcas just upstream as the river is in fact very clean.
    I dare say your explanation is right, though there is a disease of blackwater fever, being malaria with the passage of blood which has haemolysed, fairly fatal. Malaria was of course common in the East Coast and Denghie area, but the more basic explanation sounds more likely.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123