Default AIS Matsutec HP58A - External output alarm

The matsutec HP528A transponder has the ability to have the external output ais alarm (like the HP33A). However, the instructions do not specify how to make the connections and the pin out of the HP528A is different from the HP33A. Has anyone managed to make the external alarm output on the HP528A?
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: AIS Matsutec HP58A - External output alarm

On the HP-6/8/12 28A the AIS output is NMEA 0183 High speed ~ 38000 baud, is that what you mean ? Mine talks just fine to my Raymarine C120 plotter.

Pin Out info ~ page 78 ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8uh5hqcugm...%2A28.pdf?dl=0
    Last edited by superheat6k; 15-07-19 at 20:37.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Thanks for the info. About NMEA 0183 input/output I have already the pin out. The HP33A has only RS-232 standard instead HP528A has both standard RS-232 and RS-432. The data speed depend on the in/out device. For istance the data GPS output has 4800 baud and AIS output has 38400 baud.

My previuos question concerns the output for the AIS alarm. On the data port of the HP33A the pin number 9 and 10 are clearly indicated to activate an external buzzer while there is no reference on the manual of the HP528A. Yet on the Matsutec website this feature of the external alarm is reported. So my question is if anyone managed to get the external alarm of the ais on the HP528A.

On the HP-33A it's pins 9+10 (purple+grey on the included cable). These are +VE and -VE during an alarm, so to confirm, just connect a multimeter and see if you get battery voltage on them during an AIS alarm. Otherwise you'll have to go fishing around for this on any of the pins the documentation doesn't otherwise mention. Can't be many.

Many thanks for the answer.
    I have already gone fishing for pins with a multimeter on the HP528A data port but I have not been very lucky. The only pin that reacts when the AIS alarm is activated is pin number 9 which intermittently brings the negative pole to zero. Instead, when the AIS alarm is not active, pin 9 behaves like a normal negative pole. In other words I can't connect a buzzer directly because if the AIS alarm is not active it will sound continuously.
    Perhaps with a logic circuit it is possible to make the buzzer sound only with active AIS alarm but I am not an electronic and I am not able to carry it out. For this reason I was wondering if anyone had managed to make the external connection of the AIS alarm.

Below the pin out of the HP528A as reported on the manual:

With a multimeter it results:
    - pin number 8 +3.26V
    - pin number 9 -3.26V (It pulses when AIS alarm is active)
    - pin number 10 Not Connected

If 9 is held at -3.26V it's not a normal negative. Effectively it's holding 8 and 9 at 0V then 3.26V at alarm. Try hooking up a 3V piezo buzzer?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
    If 9 is held at -3.26V it's not a normal negative. Effectively it's holding 8 and 9 at 0V then 3.26V at alarm. Try hooking up a 3V piezo buzzer?
    Thanks for reply. I have already tried. As I wrote before, the buzzer sound continuously if the AIS alarm is not active.

Careful, 3.3V is a common logic level voltage, it might be a direct output from the microcontroller, which is usually not ready to handle any significant current (such as driving a relay or loud buzzer directly).

Sounds like you need to both invert the logic signal and amplify it (you probably want a 12V buzzer). Perfect job for an optocoupler, something like this: https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/...MD/ild205t.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    Careful, 3.3V is a common logic level voltage, it might be a direct output from the microcontroller, which is usually not ready to handle any significant current (such as driving a relay or loud buzzer directly).

Sounds like you need to both invert the logic signal and amplify it (you probably want a 12V buzzer). Perfect job for an optocoupler, something like this: https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/...MD/ild205t.pdf
    Thanks, it seems a good starting point.
    I was hoping someone had already made a similar circuit.
    I probably have to do it myself but I'm not an electronic.
    Anyway, I try to calibrate a "NOT" logic circuit with a TTL inverter (IC 7404 or similar) connected to an optocoupler IC to amplify the current.
    Is there anyone who wants to help me make the wiring diagram?