Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Mercury 3.3 pumps little water and other issue

I had a similar issue with my mariner 3.3HP, the telltale pipe was just dripping. I used a piece of galvanised garden wire I had (from b&q), which was perfect size. To clean I removed the pipe and cleaned then the connector, it looked like salt deposits on the wire. After that it was a steady stream of water.

Also I used a plastic large waste bin which was a perfect height to clamp the drive onto using a piece of wood as a support.

A wheely bin is ideal for flushing - clamp on the engine and away you go.

If it's pumping some water sporadically run the engine for half hour or so in kettle descaler.
    That should help a bit

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by coveman View Post
    A wheely bin is ideal for flushing - clamp on the engine and away you go.
    Not very convenient carrying a wheelie bin on board. For outboards with a gearbox an old fender with the top cut off works very well. See my website under Cruising.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Not very convenient carrying a wheelie bin on board. For outboards with a gearbox an old fender with the top cut off works very well. See my website under Cruising.
    The assumption was taking the Outboard home to fix rather than onboard.

Just adding to the previous replies: It is not the amount of water coming from the telltale that is important. It is not the main passage for cooling water and the cooling may work properly even if this hole is totally blocked. The real indication of the condition of the pump and the main water passages is the water temperature. Check it while the motor is on full power. If it is cool enough to tolerate it by a bare hand, you have nothing to worry about. Just try to clear the passage when convenient. If the temperature is close to boiling point, your cooling system needs service urgently otherwise a damage to the motor may result.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubadoo View Post
    The assumption was taking the Outboard home to fix rather than onboard.
    Not an option for many people. Carrying a container that rolls up for stowage is very convenient, allowing the outboard to be flushed quickly and easily.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jiris View Post
    Just adding to the previous replies: It is not the amount of water coming from the telltale that is important. It is not the main passage for cooling water and the cooling may work properly even if this hole is totally blocked. The real indication of the condition of the pump and the main water passages is the water temperature. Check it while the motor is on full power. If it is cool enough to tolerate it by a bare hand, you have nothing to worry about. Just try to clear the passage when convenient. If the temperature is close to boiling point, your cooling system needs service urgently otherwise a damage to the motor may result.
    Thanks, will check this.

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Not an option for many people. Carrying a container that rolls up for stowage is very convenient, allowing the outboard to be flushed quickly and easily.
    Unfortunately, its my case. Ideally, I want to do everything on board. I live in flat and my shed is balcony and car trunk. It does not make my wife happy I am going to try dry bag as water container, its cheaper than fender. Although I am still looking for better solution, maybe over winter I will do custom made with GRP.

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    Unfortunately, its my case. Ideally, I want to do everything on board. I live in flat and my shed is balcony and car trunk. It does not make my wife happy I am going to try dry bag as water container, its cheaper than fender. Although I am still looking for better solution, maybe over winter I will do custom made with GRP.
    Keep checking the boatyard skips, burst or leaking fenders are often to be found. I flushed my outboard with my cut off fender this morning, very quick and easy.

I tried wire in my Mercury 2.2 but no luck. What worked was a small drill bit rotated by hand. Took quite a while.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast