Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SatNav system outage

It seems the expensive EU Galileo system has been 'going wonky' and presently cannot be relied on. Experts are working, I'm told, to determine WIFIH.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48985399

Reliable? Bet your life on it? Despite the soothing words of salesmen that 'Can't happen, won't happen', it does. And more often than is admitted.....

Me? I still know which way is up, and which end of a pencil to use.

Default Galileo Sat Nav still down.

It looks as if the European GPS system is still down.

https://www.gsa.europa.eu/newsroom/n...itial-services

A lot of busy techies rebuilding the timing servers, earning weekend rates !

It is intriguing that the SAR sytem is not piggy-backed on the main SatNav messaging system, but is located and run separately., and is still functional. A good piece of resilience design.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Default Re: SatNav system outage

I wonder how many still have all the relevant paper charts?

Jonathan

Default Re: Galileo

Watch out anyone going to that site [Ehecatl's link], make sure your AV and anti-malware software are up to date. My Norton flagged it as trying to slip a trojan onto my machine, so careful there.
    Last edited by Skeffles; 15-07-19 at 13:55. Reason: thread merge makes it unlear as to which link I was referring, clarified now

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Default Re: Galileo

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...-system-outage

I'd be more inclined to follow the links in the above thread.
    Substance over style

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post

Jonathan
    I do.

We had a problem a week last Friday doing a night crossing. Right in the middle (between the shipping lanes) we lost everything. No position, no bearings, the lot. The autopilot was set to follow the track, and proceeded to drive us around in circles. My Navionics software was useless and even the compass on my iPhone didn't want to know, and being a steel boat, we didn't have a magnetic compass fitted).

I was asleep at the time and got woken by a worried owner who didn't know which way was up or what to do.

I pointed at Jupiter and told the helm to just point at that, which at least meant that we were going in one direction which was roughly where we wanted to go.

We re-booted everything, and still no joy.

After about an hour, it all came back and normality was resumed.

I told the owner that this was exactly why I keep paper charts and plot an hourly fix. At least that way I have a rough idea of where I am should all the electronics fail.

Galileo is or was having some issues, but nobody at sea would have even noticed, because the problem was correctly handled by flagging the satellites as bad. Every GNSS receiver that receives Galileo is by default also receiving GPS (US), GLONASS (RU), Beidou (CN) as well as the partial coverage from Japanese and Indian satellites if in their area, but filtering out the ones flagged such. The chips use any of the remaining satellites (from any of the systems) to derive a position. You'd have to be running a GNSS satellite monitor to even notice anything unusual at all, but it still would not affect your navigation systems.

Not to say the system is infallible, but you definitely would have no reason to dust off the paper charts and polish the sextant in this case (unless you like to, of course). And it's always a good idea to occasionally look at the compass and sky to see if they agree with what the screens tell you (GPS spoofing has been proven to be an actual threat, unlike the above outage).

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post

Jonathan
    Aye, laddie...... but of more significance, how many still have the relevant competencies? And pencils?

Right in the middle (between the shipping lanes) we lost everything. No position, no bearings, the lot. The autopilot was set to follow the track, and proceeded to drive us around in circles. My Navionics software was useless and even the compass on my iPhone didn't want to know, and being a steel boat, we didn't have a magnetic compass fitted.
    I'm thinking it takes a special kind of eedjit to get caught with his pants around his ankles so thoroughly as that......
    Last edited by zoidberg; 15-07-19 at 20:00.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast