Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boatwright with appopriate experience needed to extract petrol in London.

Like it says on the box.

I've got what used to be 60 gallons (spread over two tanks) but which will have now evaporated down to... who knows?

I can't move the boat till I can put fresh petrol in. There's a couple of fiddly aspects to this that rules out using a regular automotive 'wrong petrol' service. But it's straightforward but being petrol needs someone who knows what they're doing.

PM me for more info and phone number.

Any recommendations of somebody suitable very gratefully recieved.

Cheers!

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Default Re: Boatwright with appopriate experience needed to extract petrol in London.

Are you sure you are not jumping to a delusion?

How long has the fuel been aboard?

If its just a year or so, cleaning the carbs and filters and putting fresh fuel in on top of the 60 ish gallons will probably liven the mixture up enough for it to run OK.

If its been in so long that it smells different to fresh fuel and has a different "feel" on the fingers it might be a different kettle of fish.

I think I would use some fuel stabiliser-the Swiss Motorex is my particular favourite-top up with an equal amount of fresh fuel and run the engine gently after ensuring fresh fuel is in the carbs for starting.

The lighter elements of the fuel evaporate away over time, but the fuel will still work if freshened up as I suggest.

Probably safer and more enviromentaly friendly too.

The above is the result of 50 years reparing and restoring old motorcycles for a living.

You would not believe what we have got going in the past-40 years blocking a gap in an Oxfordshire hedgerow for one old Norton sidevalve that we had going in two days.

The petrol in that one was the old stuff and was like tar.

I can smell it now-bloody awful!

Default Re: Boatwright with appopriate experience needed to extract petrol in London.

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    Are you sure you are not jumping to a delusion?

How long has the fuel been aboard?

If its just a year or so, cleaning the carbs and filters and putting fresh fuel in on top of the 60 ish gallons will probably liven the mixture up enough for it to run OK.
    8 years he said

When

Quote Originally Posted by rib View Post
    When
    In an thread a couple of weeks ago. Chas was offering the petrol to anyone who could pump it out of his tanks but it's probably not so easy in practice. If it were diesel, I could pump it out with my electric pump as I do that on regular occasions, but those pumps are not suitable for petrol.

Richard

Ta,thought i was going blind/senile .what about those pumps you put in the chuck of a electric drill ?just a thought ,done avgas that way

Second thoughts elf and safety wouldn't like it 😈

Hi. I think I've got someone now.

Thanks for the input. Been busy on the boat, so couldn't get to reply here till now.

Cheers!

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

[Edit - Crossed Post]
    You probably already have electric fuel pumps fitted to the engines. Add enough petrol hose (from a motor factor) to do the job outside and two five litre plastic containers or a 10L metal one and you are sorted. Time consuming but no more hazardous than filling an outboard.

Quite what you could then do with the old petrol is anybody's guess. Pay the previously mentioned automotive type to dispose of it? Fit extended range tanks to your lawnmower? Buy a (multifuel) petrol burning stove and make like Port Talbot?

But, if the motors are 'traditional' types, I'd be inclined to add fresh high octane to dilute the old and burn it in the usual way, assuming that there is enough space in the tanks to do so.
    Last edited by SAPurdie; 16-07-19 at 07:53.

It'll certainly be piped to outside. No electrics though! The marina will dispose of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast