Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fender Boards

Default Fender Boards

I'm considering new fender boards having foolishly given away 2 lengths of floorboard with the last boat when it was sold.

I thought plastic might be a nicer solution; lighter, no splinters, cleaner perhaps. In particular, this https://neotimber.com/decking/shop/n...ntial-decking/ looks useful and not too pricey. Any experience of plastic fender boards?

Default Re: Fender Boards

Sorry

My Scots upbringing does not allow buying of boards for 'fendering' - we use anything discarded we can scavenge.

Jonathan

As an adopted Scot, I'd obtain some old scaffold planks and cut to size. In fact I'm on the lookout for some now.
    Geoff. C.: Galvanizing and anchor manufacturing.

I wouldn't dream of buying new, and certainly not plastic, it would ware away in contact with a well barnicaled wall and probably not thick enough to withstand a good bounce against a Pile.
    A tip: source one thick enough to allow you to drill through vertically to attach your ropes so they don't chafe against a wall (4"x2½") would do.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

As a definite Scot, I’d third the motion of whatever is available free. I’ve got an off cut of decking timber.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Wickes sell scaffold boards for £22...

Quote Originally Posted by MM5AHO View Post
    As an adopted Scot, I'd obtain some old scaffold planks and cut to size. In fact I'm on the lookout for some now.
    Then this should intrest you
    https://glasgowwoodrecycling.org.uk/online-shop/
    Flying birds have no master

Not plastic, for the simple reason that some of it will be abraded and end up in the sea as plastic particles.

Scaffold boards are good, we bought a 2m plank from an Italian DIY shop for around €10 that doubles as passerelle for when we have less agile visitors that struggle clambering up our bow. Even slapped on some leftover (rubbish) varnish, although I don't expect it to last long.

If you see a company erecting a scaffold in your area, stop by and ask for a spare scaffold board, they're likely to let you choose a nice one off the back of the truck for a tenner or a few beers

Agree wi' the use of redundant scaffold boards. They're of selected wood, so stronger than you might think.

Many baulk at the problem of stowing one which is large enough. There's a solution - which makes 'em foldable.

Hanneke Boon/Wharram

It holds their rudders on, mile after thousands of miles. It works. It's robust. You need just another fender.

Lightbulb Re: Fender Boards

I used heavy duty pvc pipe from builders merchants. It then stores neatly on deck as I put them over my two whisker poles which lie flat on deck. Our boat is 17t and they're easily strong enough. Much better than wooden boards in my opinion as strong, roll with swell and light weight. Like this:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast