Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Advice about my anchor and chain please - see photos

Quote Originally Posted by Trop Cher View Post
    As you plan to anchor frequently, why don't you just buy some new chain, then you know exactly what you've got, especially if you buy certified chain. There's many things you can save money on but chain, anchors and shackles shouldn't be on that list! Compared to many boat related purchases, chain isn't that expensive, also think of the savings you will make in the long term not paying for visitor moorings!
    Not to mention the hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Crinan12 View Post
    Hi Steve, why would the same anchor perform differently for you do you think?Thanks
    It may have been a smaller one (the recommended size, rather than the oversized one that was there when I bought the boat), but I'm not sure they were different. It's funny, faced with a row of anchors, I had no idea which was the the size I'd had before. Other possibilities could be wear blunting the tip or wear on the swivel that let the head lay too flat, but TBH, I don't really know. What I do know is that, had I not had the first one that set fine, I'd be firmly in the CQRs are useless camp, as seen here.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Hi stemar/Marc/anyone else
    6mm chain had been suggested - I went to order this via Jimmy green but noticed they recommend it up to 6m boats only. I emailed them and they said they would not recommend 6mm chain for a 4 tonne boat
    I would much prefer to have 6mm chain as it's significantly cheaper and lighter- can anyone reassure me that it will be fine?
    I know it's not an exact science
    Thanks

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

6mm chain had been suggested - I went to order this via Jimmy green but noticed they recommend it up to 6m boats only. I emailed them and they said they would not recommend 6mm chain for a 4 tonne boat
    I would much prefer to have 6mm chain as it's significantly cheaper and lighter- can anyone reassure me that it will be fine?
    Thanks
    A reliable rule of thumb is provided by the Prof. John Knox expression Force (in kg force) = (1/500) x (LOA in metres squared) x (wind speed in knots squared)

In a good hurricane of 60 knots this gives us 1/500 x 9 x 9 x 60 x 60 = 583 kgf.
    In a possibly more realistic wind strength of 40 knots we get 259 kgf.

The SWL of 6 mm chain is 400 kg. However, even at 583 kgf you would be below the yield strength which I would estimate to be around 60% of the UTS of 1.6 tons, = 960 kg. It is debatable whether your anchor or deck cleats would resist loading of this sort of level.

I reckon well-made 6 mm chain should be perfectly adequate under realistic conditions..
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Thanks

Perhaps not an exact science but there is a lot of experience at Greens which I suspect you might ignore at your peril

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    Perhaps not an exact science but there is a lot of experience at Greens which I suspect you might ignore at your peril
    Perhaps, but given a choice between taking reasoned advice from Vyv versus the sales assistant in Jimmy Greens I know who I would heed.

Thanks for the example vyv very useful
    I'm going to go with 6mm chain I think
    Presumably there will be a lot of boats out there with g30 8mm chain, which would not be superior to g40 6mm chain anyway
    Cheers again

Thanks for the example vyv very useful
    I'm going to go with 6mm chain I think
    Presumably there will be a lot of boats out there with g30 8mm chain, which would not be superior to g40 6mm chain anyway
    Cheers again
    My numbers are based on grade 30 chain, didn't realise you would be buying grade 40, so an unexpected bonus. SWL of 6mm grade 40 is 675 kg

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    Ironic tale about that. A couple of years ago one of my contacts discussed with Jimmy Green my recommendation of three chain links between a Kong swivel and the anchor shackle. He was told it was totally unnecessary and they would not advise it. Now they will sell you three links of chain specifically for that purpose.

That's even better vyv
    6mm sounds like the best option for me
    Jimmy green don't actually sell any grade 30 chain - grade 40 is the minimum
    Cheers

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast