Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Advice about my anchor and chain please - see photos

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    You - and I - don't need all-chain. The actual mechanics of what goes on tells us - eventually, when we're willing to listen and think - that a length of chain next to the anchor followed by a good rope warp is optimal.... and especially so when you're hand-hauling the lot up. Yes, it works fine.

So I'd recommend you aim at having a chain-rope setup. You'll thank me for it - mine's a pint - and keep your 'redundant' length of chain for use with a SECOND anchor. And warp. That's just good seamanship.
    I'd be interested to hear your reasoning behind those statements.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcJ View Post
    My tuppence worth - I've got a Kobra and it's been great, it's the folding one, which I'm in the process of getting welding in a permanently open position as the bar that it folds over has come away from the stock.
    I've also just replaced our 30mtrs of chain, which was 8mm with 6mm, as it was a lot worse than yours. I was working on Vyv's advice, the percentage corrosion.
    I too found my Kobra good value, it sets well and quickly and develop sufficient hold (assuming you follow the size of yacht vs anchor size spreadsheets) and also had it welded up. I could see no benefit to the folding mechanism (at all). Ideally one would re-galvanise - I painted with a zinc based paint which works well as the welding is in the underside of the fluke that enjoys no, or minimal, wear.

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 16-07-19 at 06:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I too will be interested in Zoidberg's comments.

In the interim, another of my links

http://www.mysailing.com.au/cruising...t-possible-way

I think there are some interesting graphs in the article comparing length of nylon with length of chain and the ability of each to 'absorb' energy. A mixed rode is simply a short chain rode with a permanent snubber. If your cruising ground offers no, or little risk of abrasion the question I would ask of you is very simple

Precisely why do you, or many people, carry an all chain rode?

Textile is cheaper and lighter.

And if there i one thing most owners agree on is that - chain costs money!

Admittedly here in Australia most yachts, or owners, have ambition to escape to the balmy north and escape the hard winters for which the southern part of the island suffers . Coral eats nylon as an overnight snack - so most yachts are kitted out with an all chain rode.

Jonathan

Hi Douglas

The west coast of Scotland has some wonderful anchorages so getting your anchor gear in better shape makes sense.

Firstly, could you take a close look at your anchor in the area I have circled in blue. Unfortunately, the photo does not have enough resolution but there is a suggestion of a crack forming in the weld between the fluke and the shank. This could just be a crack in the zinc coating or an artefact of the photo. A careful visual inspection should be enough to tell but this should be done before using the anchor. While you are inspecting the anchor also check and see how much wear there is in the pivot pin. Anchors with moving parts like this CQR copy do deteriorate. Saltwater and abrasive sand is tough environment for moving steel parts and wear on the pivot pin effects the anchors setting geometry.

If you are purchasing a new anchor, the Kobra 2 would be a reasonable choice. It is excellent value for money. There are better anchors though. The Mantus, Rocna and steel Spade are all a significant improvement over the Kobra, but at a much higher price.

As has been indicated, the shackles definitely need to be replaced, as do the very rusty bits of chain. I presume you do not have a windlass, in which case the remaining good lengths of chain can be joined with a simple shackle. This will not pass through a windlass gypsy, but if you are retrieving the chain by hand, shackles are cheap and easy. They are better than the suspect “C” links you currently have (good quality “C” links are fine, but many are poor quality) so replace these with shackles as well. Join together the good bits of chain and see how much you have. You will need some rope rode as well anyway so the loss of some chain length should not be a great problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    Lastly, it's well worth the time reading this enourmous thread on CF - it has tons of pictures of various anchors and excellent advice on how to use one properly: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-126073.html
    Thanks Yngmar.
    Douglas, there are many photos there of the Kobra in action underwater, together with the other designs I have mentioned. The difference in performance is quite obvious. Looking at the photos you should be able to make up your own mind if the extra cost of the very best anchor models is justified.

Last edited by noelex; 16-07-19 at 08:34.

Thanks Jonathan some interesting thoughts.

I've always snubbed but only to bow cleats. Never thought of running a long snubber back to the transom as I am heading past 60N in a couple of years will give that some thought.

Sandy,

You are welcome.

I would not have believed it but development of snubber use is an ongoing technology and there are further options (being trialled). Keep in touch here, YBW, and I am sure whatever transpires will be reported

- and however it develops....

- it will be cheap

In the mean time - think of running your snubber from the transom and running outboard before you get to the bow (this is the difficult part, but not impossible, and tends to be yacht specific) - and then run another snubber down the other side, both snubbers to a common chain hook. You then have a bridle - which will reduce yawing (and I believe yawing is a major contributory factor to an anchor dragging). One of the trial yachts (not a multihull) is on its way, north, to Alaska currently. There will be an article in SAIL about this 'soonish' - I'll post a link when available.

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 16-07-19 at 09:06.

Resizer_15632664934920.jpgResizer_15632664934921.jpgResizer_15632664934922.jpgResizer_15632664934923.jpgResizer_15632664934924.jpgResizer_15632664934925.jpgResizer_15632664934926.jpgResizer_15632664934927.jpg
    Continuing thanks to all

Noel I don't think it's a crack. I had another look. I did just discover another anchor which was hidden away!It's a 15kg cqr. I presume I might as well attach this one when I replace the shackles as it's heavier.

I don't have a windlass

I've taken some more photos to give a better idea of the condition of the chain. The trouble is I don't really know what constitutes bad. To me a lot looks okay and then there are sections where there are half a dozen or so links which are much rustier than others. These are often at points where there are bits of old string where the chain has been marked. I don't know if that's just a coincidence.

Thanks for providing the links. It's given me plenty reading material and I can decide what to buy if anything over the winter. I still have to learn to sail!

This article, link already provided earlier, has detail on anchor lockers

https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/know-how-ground-tackle

Leaving dirty (mud) wet chain in an anchor locker and/or chain sitting in close proximity to wet rope (or wet string/ribbons as chain markers) is a sure way to engender accelerated corrosion.

Jonathan

As you plan to anchor frequently, why don't you just buy some new chain, then you know exactly what you've got, especially if you buy certified chain. There's many things you can save money on but chain, anchors and shackles shouldn't be on that list! Compared to many boat related purchases, chain isn't that expensive, also think of the savings you will make in the long term not paying for visitor moorings!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I would have thought all chain is required for anchoring in coral, but perhaps not a requirement for elsewhere?

I would also have thoguht, but don't know, that anchor rode would give a greater snubbing effect than all chain. Regardless, it's not going to snap! Unless it is cut by running over a sharp surface, like coral. I doubt tats an issue in scotland. Even rocks, of which we have a great deal, are probably not the big issue in anchoring spots, as if its a rocky seabed iots unlikely to be a good anchoring ground anyway.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast