Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Manual depth finder

In case my electronic Depth Sounder doesn’t function, is there a ‘marine’ plumb line I can buy or, at a push, any suggestions re how to make one to check depth in shallower waters?

Default Re: Manual depth finder

https://www.force4.co.uk/hand-leadline.html

Fairly trivial to make one: lump of heavy and a marked line

For £25 plus postage and packaging I can supply a brick and a length of line up to 10 fathoms. Greater that 10 fathoms its £65.

Got the message & it’s clearly time to end the thread. On a serious note we used one a long time ago on coastal passage harbours & we certainly hadn’t made it ourselves so I just thought that there might be something for mariners not in possession of lumps of metal - probably a basic decorator’s will do the job.

I started saving the lead tops from wine bottles to make a lead, until my wife started chucking them away, and then they started using tinfoil and I gave up.

You might find the odd church roof still available.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

For a quick indication, I use a length of line (about 10m) with a short piece of lead pipe on the end. Different colour corks are attached at 1.5m (boat's draft), 2m, 3m and 4m. This has helped to find the way through some shallow patches.

The trick is to have a loop round your wrist, then throw the weight out in the direction you want to find the depth. Noting the colours not floating gives a quick indication of depth in that direction.

A fishing weight and a length of marked cord does a job.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

For around €25 you can buy a handheld backup depth sounder/fish finder: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32794272731.html

Just check the frequency (200 kHz in this case) isn't the same as your existing transducer. If it is, you must disable (switch off) your existing one, else they will interfere with each other.

When it was my only depth sounder I used a lump of lead maybe about a pound weight with a length of sash cord with various carefully whipped marking tags. Now occasionally I use an old heavy shackle with a bit of string just to check the electronic sounder offset and accuracy.

Actually sailing with just a leadline makes you much more careful: the first accidental grounding I had was shortly after fitting an early Seafarer II spinning-neon sounder - it let me cut corners that I wouldn't have dared otherwise.

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/sail...eadlines-28316
    I am the only one who grew up using a lead line routinely?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast