Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Boarding ladder for safety.

How far below the surface of the water does a boarding ladder have to go to be useful as a safety device?

Default Re: Boarding ladder for safety.

Mine is 2 rungs but best not fall off in the first place

Two rungs = what depth? (The first words of my safety briefing are "Don't fall overboard". Despite all our rescue and safety gear, it is the most dangerous thing you can do.)

I would probably have difficulty hauling myself out with only two rungs if encumbered by wet clothes and tired.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Mine is under the boarding platform, deployable from the water has I think 3 rungs under the water bottom rung at a depth of about 1 metre.

I'm 6 feet tall, in the water 5 feet of me is below the surface, when I bend one knee up my foot is about 3 feet below the surface so it would be nice to have a rung there!
    BUT even at my great age I can pull quite a bit of of my body (Even in wet clothes) up out of the water. At least a foot so perhaps a rung at 2 feet under the surface would suffice? !

Made one for some friends who made a habit of falling into the river locally. (Think they did it three times..) IIRR the bottom step was 80cm under water? Did the trick as a deterant, as they didn't fall in after it was fitted

Quote Originally Posted by Amulet View Post
    How far below the surface of the water does a boarding ladder have to go to be useful as a safety device?
    Low enough for the least able crew member to be able to get a foot on it., remembering, that they may well be barely floating if they've gone over without any life jacket or buoyancy aid and may not have sufficient upper body strength to lift themselves and water-logged clothes by a significant amount.

A fit tennager will not need it to go below the surface by much at all . A crumbling old geriatric will need it to go below by over a metre.

FWIW, and Photobucket permitting, this is how I extended my ladder ... but I have never put it to the test and I am aware of the potential problem with rope ladders

Hi Vic
    Is that a genuine PhotoBucket over your OB bracket? At first I thought it was your Sat Comms.....

There isn't a magic number.
    If you want to use the ladder wearing heavy dive kit, then a bottom step 4ft below the surface is ideal.
    A step 1ft below the surface can be enough, if you've got really good handholds in the right places.
    It's all more awkward when the boat is moving in waves, more so on a mooring ISTM.
    A midships boarding ladder is far superior at sea.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast