Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Boarding ladder for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    There isn't a magic number.
    I understand that, but my original question has created some useful input. Stowage of the ladder is a problem on my tiny boat, but I do think a rigid ladder is much better than a rope ladder, perhaps even if it is a bit shorter. I had not thought of a rigid ladder with a dangley bit at the bottom. Thanks to all.

For all those that might struggle to get a foot on the bottom rung you can get extra hight by bobbing up and down a couple of times whilst holding on to the ladder. It will create some momentum and get you an extra foot or more out of the water on the rise, use your arms to help push yourself down and pull yourself up your natural buoyancy will do the rest and give you a lift.
    Useful for getting into an inflatable or a life raft if you ever need to.

One thing I saw 'tested' in WaterCraft was a fold up single step. Made of SS tube and shaped like one of those long reach small paint rollers. It was fitted to the back of a Shrimper, so lowish freeboard, but the step was quite low when folded down and the burley staffer, well clothed in oilys, got up fairly easily to a height where he could scramble into the boat.
    Maybe a fold down 25mm tube with two or three 15cm bits welded on alternate sides to act as steps? Angled in a bit or with tabs at the end to avoid slipping off?
    Just an idea and easier to make and fit than a folding ladder.

On my little bilge keelers, 17 - 20ft, the ladders could just about be used for boarding from the ground. The bottom step was about 18" below water level I could just about get a foot on and haul myself up but it gets more difficult as body weight increases and arm strength decreases.

When I designed my folding ladder I did a lot of research. I'm now trying to find the article but I'm sure they said one meter below the water AND they said tubular rungs are no good: there has to be steps to give a good foothold.

Ten Tips for choosing the right boarding ladder
    https://www.sail-world.com/Australia...?source=google

How to tie quick release knot
    If you tie your ladder up you can have a rope dangling in the water which when pulled will release the ladder.

https://www.google.com/search?client...Pidg#kpvalbx=1
    Last edited by coopec; 16-07-19 at 11:47.

We use a 4 step telescopic ladder. My twin hip replacement wife uses it regularly for swimming. Easily reached and extended from the water. Flat steps are comfortable for bare feet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amarine-mad...c=1&th=1&psc=1

You can probably find cheaper by searching.

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Had something identical to that mounted in the sugar scoop of my last boat, seemed to work OK although never used it for any involuntary swims.
    Substance over style

Mine drops about 750mm. certainly more than enough for the scrote who stole my socket set to get aboard in the boatyard in reasonable comfort.

I think perhaps equally important is to have a series of hand holds so that you can use both arms to haul yourself up. Yes you can sometimes scramble over the transom but far better if you can climb over while vertical. The thing is to actually use the ladder to find out fro yourself how well it works. ol'will

I tried mine last summer. It folds down about 50 cm below the water. Not tired and in swimming trunks I could just about heave my rather large and ageing carcass back on board. Not a chance of doing so if tired, cold and wearing heavy clothing.

I made two modification:
    Adding two stainless steel rods on dyneema, as extra steps as in a rope ladder, secured by Velcro to the top bottom step when stored but easy to release when needed. That increased the depth to about 1m.

Added a line to pull it down and Velcro fasteners to hold it up, instead of the original stainless steel fastener that could only be released by someone onboard.

Tested it again and am confident that it would now be possible if I got to it before too much fatigue set in.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast