Default VP 2003 - engine oil leak - but where from?

Hi folks, apologies for yet another VP 2003 engine question!

Engine oil leak at the front of the engine. Trying to find where it is coming from, does not appear to be the crankshaft bearing, coming from somewhere higher and is dripping onto the alternator/FW pump drive belt so being sprayed about a bit. We checked the oil filter, actually changed if in case the leak was from there, but still happening. Suspecting perhaps the oil pressure sender but the base of the sender where it screws into the engine is ok. Can the sender fail such that the oil can seep through the electrical bit at the top of the sender?

Or any other thoughts of where it could be coming from, from those who know these engines?

Thanks all

Default Re: VP 2003 - engine oil leak - but where from?

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
    Hi folks, apologies for yet another VP 2003 engine question!

Engine oil leak at the front of the engine. Trying to find where it is coming from, does not appear to be the crankshaft bearing, coming from somewhere higher and is dripping onto the alternator/FW pump drive belt so being sprayed about a bit. We checked the oil filter, actually changed if in case the leak was from there, but still happening. Suspecting perhaps the oil pressure sender but the base of the sender where it screws into the engine is ok. Can the sender fail such that the oil can seep through the electrical bit at the top of the sender?

Or any other thoughts of where it could be coming from, from those who know these engines?

Thanks all
    I've known oil seep through an oil pressure warning light switch... (that was on a VP MD11C ) but i don't remember it leaking as much as you describe.

The only way to locate the source is to clean up thoroughly then start and watch closely

Ok, thanks for that. We have cleaned up the engine as best we can and will watch. It is only a few drips at a time, which over some hours of motoring make a bit of a mess, so might be the sensor

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    I've known oil seep through an oil pressure warning light switch... (that was on a VP MD11C ) but i don't remember it leaking as much as you describe.

The only way to locate the source is to clean up thoroughly then start and watch closely
    I rebuilt the top end of a Vauxhall Carlton SOHC many years ago and when I was re-fitting the head I must have inadvertently knocked the electrical connector which pokes out through the ceramic material at the end of the oil pressure sender. When the refit was finished I took the car for a quick spin to check it out. I lost half the contents of the sump in about 10 minutes.

Cleaning up and watching closely before powering away is, indeed, the best advice.

Richard

The valve cover on the 2000 range is very difficult to get a good seal; could that be the source of your leak?

I have had a Volvo oil pressure switch fail due to the internal insulated plug disintegrating. This very well could be leaking and drying it with a tissue and observing while the engine is running may conform it. Do not try tightening unless tied up alongside and replace asap if a leak between the insulated center and body is confirmed.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

Thanks all - really helpful. Other online searches have also suggested the oil pressure sender unit. We have wrapped the oil pressure sender with a cotton bandage strip - I know this will not stop the leak but will help determine if this is the culprit

On my VP2003T the o-ring of the oil cap was leaking

Ok - it’s not the oil pressure sensor. There is a weep of oil from around the top of the valve cover, but very little and it’s not clear how that could travel and drip onto the drive belt. Set up a small absorbing pad to track this one meantime.

Next focus is the salt water pump......

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
    Ok - it’s not the oil pressure sensor. There is a weep of oil from around the top of the valve cover, but very little and it’s not clear how that could travel and drip onto the drive belt. Set up a small absorbing pad to track this one meantime.

Next focus is the salt water pump......
    If it is coming from the drain hole in the pump body then its the pump oil seal that is leaking.

Change the water seal at the same time . Check the bearings and the shaft for wear . Also fit a new impeller

Note the orientation of the seals. Lips facing away from each other