Default Navionics alternatives?

Subscription has expired - so looking for wisdom on what is available.

Use a Lenovo tablet which seems very slow, but does the job- mostly. There are some issues with it......£34.00 a year is one of them.

Any wisdom for a route planning, general navigation bit of software?

Thanks
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

Default Re: Navionics alternatives?

How about the Visit my Harbour system. Great website with lots of free stuff, but they also do chart packages.

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/
    Moody 31

You can still use it after the subscription has expired. You just don't get updates

Quote Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
    How about the Visit my Harbour system. Great website with lots of free stuff, but they also do chart packages.

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/
    +1 for their charts when used with the Marine Navigator app which can also display AIS.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

I have been an on and off Navionics user on my phone but my vote is for VMH but used with OPENCPN (Other chart sources are also available for free for Android if you know who to ask or where to look)

£25 of usb stick gives you all UK admiralty charts which are fulll raster not mickey mouse cartoonography charts. (I think they are still only for use with windows based machines Please correct me if I am wrong)

I have been using one of these hybrid PC/Set Top Box/ Tablets for a few years and have just bought one of these with a larger screen 10inch screen

https://www.pipo-store.com/pipo-x12-10-8-inch-mini-pc-tv-box.html

Unusual to have any PC or Tablet with an RS232 port.
    This allows for permanently wired connection of combined GPS and AIS Transponder. I prefer a simple wired connection rather than depending upon wifi for a critical display. Eliminates the need for a USB to serial converter.

It does so much more but it still wont make the morning cuppa yet

Steve

Thats an interesting looking bit of kit, I've just been wondering how long my ipad will last, it now cant load any ios updates, as its too old. (ipad air 4.5yrs old!)

I use Memory Maps Marine charts on a Nexus Tablet, a Windows laptop and a Mac. No tidal data but the same charts as the folios. I really like them.

David Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by TSB240 View Post
    I have been an on and off Navionics user on my phone but my vote is for VMH but used with OPENCPN (Other chart sources are also available for free for Android if you know who to ask or where to look)

£25 of usb stick gives you all UK admiralty charts which are fulll raster not mickey mouse cartoonography charts. (I think they are still only for use with windows based machines Please correct me if I am wrong)

I have been using one of these hybrid PC/Set Top Box/ Tablets for a few years and have just bought one of these with a larger screen 10inch screen

https://www.pipo-store.com/pipo-x12-10-8-inch-mini-pc-tv-box.html

Unusual to have any PC or Tablet with an RS232 port.
    This allows for permanently wired connection of combined GPS and AIS Transponder. I prefer a simple wired connection rather than depending upon wifi for a critical display. Eliminates the need for a USB to serial converter.

It does so much more but it still wont make the morning cuppa yet

Steve
    Oh! That does look fun, but off budget this month
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

I use london chartplotters on a pad and it's great. Also raster charts which "float my boat". there are some small negatives with the software - but overall it's a bargain

as I'm a bit "sad" I've also got navionics on my phone, which isn't so great as I prefer raster charts, but it does update every month, which is also a bonus