Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Diesel Heater for under£200?????

ttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-5000W-LCD-Monitor-Air-diesel-Fuel-Heater-5KW-PLANAR-for-Trucks-Bus-Boats-Car/352593351640?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26a

On E bay....... Can it possibly be that even a Chinese copy of Eberspacher can be sold at this price? Is it a scam? Anyone bought one?

Default Re: Diesel Heater for under£200?????

Have you considered the possibility of £200 being the appropriate price for a diesel heater ?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Have you considered the possibility of £200 being the appropriate price for a diesel heater ?
    Quite. Ones perception of how much things cost to make are based on trying to do it ones-self. Some outfit in Asia seem to be able to knock out things for less than the materials would cost us, but they seem to manage it and stay in business.
    I help out some friends who do high end lighting, making the backplates and working out the fixings. If customers wanted big numbers, then it would make sense to get it done elsewhere. But, the lights are a bit exclusive and can command decent prices. Knocking them out would devalue and send the price sharply down. So nich market. Diesel heaters don't figure in this. If it works for a few years, fine. Goes wrong, bin it and get another. Like white goods, not worth fixing, if a few years old. Call out charge would be a high % of a new one, with no guarantee of a fix. Spares are also a high% of a new one.
    e.g. We have a very good Bosch fridge. Seems the electronic bit has gone AWOL. Searching on the net, the new bit is around 40% of the price of a new lower end fridge with a two year warranty. So that is what we bought.

Quote Originally Posted by boatmike View Post
    ttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-5000W-LCD-Monitor-Air-diesel-Fuel-Heater-5KW-PLANAR-for-Trucks-Bus-Boats-Car/352593351640?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26a

On E bay....... Can it possibly be that even a Chinese copy of Eberspacher can be sold at this price? Is it a scam? Anyone bought one?
    I have a 5Kw Chinese heater that I used for a whole winter to heat my workshop. It performed almost faultlessly.
    I have taken my Webasto Airtop on the boat apart many times. In almost 20 years I've spent about £600 on servicing and replacing burner chambers, fuel pumps and a fan motor. If I used a professional for servicing I'd have written it off and replaced it years ago.
    I now know better and for the past 3 or 4 years I have replaced various parts that have worn out with spares I bought on eBay or from Banggood from China at a cost of less than £20, to my eye at least these parts look identical and they certainly perform as well as the original, so this Chinese kit is certainly worth considering.

In a nutshell, the Chinese copy worked very well for me, many people who are fitting them in campers and work vans have had problems which are usually due to poor fuel quality, low volts and poor installation, I suggest they would have had the same problems with a Webasto.
    The controls are primitive by comparison with my Webasto but after a day or so I figured out how to control it properly.

I suggest you watch this interesting and entertaining technical video on unpacking and commissioning one of these heaters by a guy who certainly is quite 'handy' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YthaCqkMOs&app=desktop

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

If you search the internet you will find quite a few videos and case histories of these Chinese copies that have burst into flame. Cutting production costs to a minimum has negative consequences on the user.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    If you search the internet you will find quite a few videos and case histories of these Chinese copies that have burst into flame. Cutting production costs to a minimum has negative consequences on the user.
    You can also find a lot of interweb stuff about expensive eberbasto products failing to burst into any useful thermal activity.
    There ought to be a middle way!

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    May I ask what evidence you have to support your assertion please?

Having trawled through various threads on the topic, the general consensus seems to be the Chinese ones are OK-ish, but not good quality (especially peripherals) nor CE marked, and sometimes arrive lacking some parts; the Russian ones (Planar brand) are CE marked, better quality, and with spares, fitting and after-sales service available, but are around £500. The old mainstream brands (Webasto, Eberspacher, Mikuni) are as good or better quality than the Russian ones, and with more sophisticated/user friendly controls than the others, but cost the earth.

I have a very ancient Eberspacher, which works well (with slight foibles). When I enquired about getting it serviced it was going to cost more than a Chinese replacement, even if no major problems were found, so it stays unserviced. If the Eberspacher expires I would be tempted to go for the Russian Planar.

I’ve got one of the heaters identical to the clip in post#4.

I’ve kept all my eber bits of ancillaries, exhaust system, mounting plate, ducting etc and thrown the Chinese stuff away.

It’s working well, that’s all I can say.

I fitted a 2kw diesel heater last spring its a copy of the eberspacher d2 really pleased with it for £134.
    Leisure Owners Association

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast