Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Diesel Heater for under£200?????

Quote Originally Posted by boatmike View Post
    Puzzled by all this talk of PLANAR units being more expensive though. They are not seemingly so on e bay,,,,,,
    Could it be that they were sold at a price seen to be attractive against Eber originally and have now been overtaken by other importers...... Are PLANAR actually Russian built or rebranded Chinese sold out of Russia perhaps??????
    The ones like the OP are advertised as "planar", but they are not.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

yep.

there are chinese on ebay and there are russian planar.

some of the ebay chinese play fast and loose with their descriptions so it's hard to tell what they are.

It's a fairly simple marketplace and a simple decision set - we replaced ours about 6 months ago

buy eber etc for an eye watering sum. have a good support network and lots of spare parts and expertise

buy a recon eber with a warranty - pay less (but still about £700) and same as above

buy a planar - russian. good uk importer with good support/spares. cheaper a bit than a recon eber but ballpark similar. for that you get a new unit. this is fine as long as the UK importer stays in business for some time, as it's relatively new to the market.

buy a chinese from ebay. take your chances as they are cheap as chips. probably not a lot of uk based professional support - more of a self help group. if it doesn't work or goes wrong then you'll be replacing like as not (hopefully for another small amount of money). You can have three of these for the price of the planar/recon eber. the build quality is reputed not to be as good as the planar but they are cheap as chips (almost).

pays your money and takes your choice.

we went for a recon eber simply because it was a simple drop-in for the old unit, we have a 6m warranty on the replacement unit, and there are loads of spares about. If this wasn't an option then I would have gone planar I think. I didn't want the hassle of an unsupported chinese unit - after all the ancillary parts, piping etc is bloody expensive and time consuming to fit, so may as well fit a heater unit where I can ring someone when I have a problem.

that's my take

[QUOTE=nicappotamus 2;6846759]yep.o

there are chinese on ebay and there are russian planar.

some of the ebay chinese play fast and loose with their descriptions so it's hard to tell what they are.

It's a fairly simple marketplace and a simple decision set - we replaced ours about 6 months ago

buy eber etc for an eye watering sum. have a good support network and lots of spare parts and expertise

buy a recon eber with a warranty - pay less (but still about £700) and same as above

buy a planar - russian. good uk importer with good support/spares. cheaper a bit than a recon eber but ballpark similar. for that you get a new unit. this is fine as long as the UK importer stays in business for some time, as it's relatively new to the market.

buy a chinese from ebay. take your chances as they are cheap as chips. probably not a lot of uk based professional support - more of a self help group. if it doesn't work or goes wrong then you'll be replacing like as not (hopefully for another small amount of money). You can have three of these for the price of the planar/recon eber. the build quality is reputed not to be as good as the planar but they are cheap as chips (almost).

pays your money and takes your choice.

we went for a recon eber simply because it was a simple drop-in for the old unit, we have a 6m warranty on the replacement unit, and there are loads of spares about. If this wasn't an option then I would have gone planar I think. I didn't want the hassle of an unsupported chinese unit - after all the ancillary parts, piping etc is bloody expensive and time consuming to fit, so may as well fit a heater unit where I can ring someone when I have a problem.

that's my take[/QUOTE

I have a Chinese knock off which works fine.
    I asked a Uk supplier (with his mark up)about spares etc., which he said openly the glow plugs are not as good as eberspacher the exhaust would be better (if fitting to a boat) be eberspacher and he jubilee clips need replacing with stainless.
    All the parts except the mother board are conpletely inter changeable with the eberspacher.
    It’s a direct copy as I have the 5kw version.
    It was £134 with the eberspacher add ins it was just over £250

I am still a bit confused here. The PLANAR ones on E bay as described in my original post are no more expensive than the average Chinese ones. Are you guys intimating that they are not really PLANAR units or has the price come down? I take the point that if there is a reputable UK source with spares available etc that would be worth something but I can't determine which supplier that may be as there are several claiming UK stock. Can I ask those with a good experience of a supplier come clean and say which ones?? My problem with E bay generally is that it's difficult to determine either the manufacturer or supplier with any certainty.

Most of the planar ones on eBay aren't really planar. The sellers just label them as that
    I think when you buy a Chinese one it's a bit of a lottery in terms of the supplier you buy from - I think the heaters are pretty much all the same
    I'd check the dimensions of the heater with the seller before placing an order- I read that lots of folk order say a 2kw,but get sent a 5kw for example

I am still a bit confused here. The PLANAR ones on E bay as described in my original post are no more expensive than the average Chinese ones. Are you guys intimating that they are not really PLANAR units or has the price come down? I take the point that if there is a reputable UK source with spares available etc that would be worth something but I can't determine which supplier that may be as there are several claiming UK stock. Can I ask those with a good experience of a supplier come clean and say which ones?? My problem with E bay generally is that it's difficult to determine either the manufacturer or supplier with any certainty.
    Yes, the ebayers flogging unbranded Chinese ones are quoting 'planar' in their heading, but they're not the Russian Planar brand. There is more than one UK supplier of the Russian ones (one of whom is Vyv's son). Here's a link to one of them (I don't know if this is him or a rival) - https://planarheaters.co.uk

And another - https://www.pfjones.co.uk/autoterm-h...r-heaters.html
    Last edited by LittleSister; 18-07-19 at 14:38.

Can I ask those with a good experience of a supplier come clean and say which ones??
    A second recommendation (there's one on page 2 of this thread) for seller 'blue005_de' who in my case had genuine UK stock delivered on day #3.
    Another trick is to look under 'Postage and payments' on the listing for those that offer 24 hour delivery for a reasonable amount, say £8.99, and not the £120 that those who are actually overseas quote, e.g. there's a seller 'oneness_uk' who offers free RM48 or a choice of Yodel24 or RM24 for an extra £3.99.
    You just need to do the research and keep a very suspicious mind.
    I've had 3 quickly delivered from UK stock thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Yes, the ebayers flogging unbranded Chinese ones are quoting 'planar' in their heading, but they're not the Russian Planar brand. There is more than one UK supplier of the Russian ones (one of whom is Vyv's son). Here's a link to one of them (I don't know if this is him or a rival) - https://planarheaters.co.uk

And another - https://www.pfjones.co.uk/autoterm-h...r-heaters.html
    Hey at last! Thanks for that. Its clear looking at the Autoterm website that the genuine Planar ones are Russian built and better quality. One big difference seems to be that the Planar uses a decent brushless motor which apart from being quieter is going to be more reliable than a brush type, has a good fuel pump (seems you can even pay extra for a super quiet one) and their boat kits include a through hull fitting etc. Also the company selling them appears sound and offer spares and back up. Not saying the Chinese ones are no good but it's definitely sharp practice calling them Planar when they are not so I don't fancy your chances when something goes wrong. Thanks to everyone for their input. It's been an interesting thread!

Hey at last! Thanks for that. Its clear looking at the Autoterm website that the genuine Planar ones are Russian built and better quality. One big difference seems to be that the Planar uses a decent brushless motor which apart from being quieter is going to be more reliable than a brush type, has a good fuel pump (seems you can even pay extra for a super quiet one) and their boat kits include a through hull fitting etc. Also the company selling them appears sound and offer spares and back up. Not saying the Chinese ones are no good but it's definitely sharp practice calling them Planar when they are not so I don't fancy your chances when something goes wrong. Thanks to everyone for their input. It's been an interesting thread!
    The best thing to do with the Chinese heaters is fit them and fire them up as soon as received. If they don't work, you have the support of eBay and PayPal and will get a refund. Beyond that, you have no official support. You do have lots of community support, which should help solve almost any problem. Chinese heaters can currently be picked up for around £130, so you could buy 5 for the cost of the refurbished Eber mentioned earlier in this thread. If it goes wrong, buy another, but mine has been up and running for over a year and was used heavily last winter. So far, it hasn't missed a beat. I currently have an Eber, a webasto and the Chinese jobbie. The Eber has also been faultless, but cost around 10 times the price of the Chinese heater and, if it does go wrong, will almost certainly cost more than a whole Chinese heating system to fix. The webasto is currently on my workbench refusing all attempts at getting it going. For value, the Chinese heater wins hands down. For reliably it is a tie between it and the Eber. For performance the Eber wins, as it is simply a better bit of kit in terms of controllability etc.

If I needed to fit a heater to my boat tomorrow, I would fit a Chinese one without any question.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234