Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Diesel Heater for under£200?????

I bought a heater recently but went for a planar. It was about £450. I didn't mind paying a wee bit extra for better quality in this instance.
    The heater itself has been brilliant so far and I had a couple of questions during installation that were answered straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by Crinan12 View Post
    I bought a heater recently but went for a planar. It was about £450. I didn't mind paying a wee bit extra for better quality in this instance.
    The heater itself has been brilliant so far and I had a couple of questions during installation that were answered straight away.
    What testing did you do to see if the Planar was better quality? I also wonder where Planar get all their PCBs that do all the crucial safety controls from? Are they made in Russia or like almost all PCBs in the world now bought in from China? I'm not trying to have a go at you by the way - just curious as to what made you think Russian built was better quality than Chinese built other than adverts telling you so?

I didn't do any testing other than to use them and I don't know the answer to your other questions sorry
    I bought a Chinese heater previously and there was a problem with the controller. I was sent a new controller and there were still issues so I was shipped a new motherboard. I was having to wait weeks in between delivery for the spare parts. I couldn't be bothered with it in the end and that's when I got the planar. All the cabling and hosing and clips were much more robust than the Chinese one. And crucially it worked properly straight away.
    From researching this a lot I know loads of folk are perfectly happy with the Chinese ones but it wasn't for me in the end.

Thank you that's interesting - I've had two Chinese that worked out of the box with no issues BUT whilst most of the ancillaries were fine I did replace all the hose clips and more importantly I bought an Eber exhaust hose as the I wasn't happy the Chinese one wouldn't leak

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    I respect Vyv's opinion on most things but think his support for his son's business does not show his usual objectivity. I've no reason to believe that Russian products are superior to Chinese. All our houses are full of Chinese and Asian products.
    I made absolutely no mention of my son nor his business. Read my post again. I have personally seen three videos of these heaters on fire and know of more.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    I made absolutely no mention of my son nor his business. Read my post again. I have personally seen three videos of these heaters on fire and know of more.
    Any heater can catch fire if it is poorly installed and there is an electrical short and/or fuel leak.
    Most, if not all of these Chinese heaters are owner installed and you only have to read the heater forum posts to realise that many of the people installing them, have absolutely no idea what they are doing.
    There are bound to be accidents in such a cases.
    On the heater that I ran continuously for about 18 months I had no problems, I was meticulous about fuel plumbing and the wiring and tested the overheat shutdown manually on a number of occasions.
    I don't believe they are any more or less likely to catch fire than any other heater - if they are installed correctly

Chinese copies of unknown quality may or may not be up to scratch. There is certainly sufficient anecdotal evidence to worry me; others may have different thresholds.

Either way, these heaters are not CE marked. Should a fire or other accident occur an insurance company may consider declining a claim for fire damage to a vessel, or worse seek to recover costs following a third party claim for damages.

The use of non CE marked goods in critical applications like this could easily be construed as negligence.

One might expect a concerned owner to reach for the fire extinguisher rather than a phone or video camera.
    I suspect these things are like a lot of cheap chinese products, they are cheap because the Chinese are using many thousands of them in their home market.
    None of these things, including Eber/webasto/Mikuni were originally designed for boats.
    A bit of caution is probably a good thing.
    A thermal cutout switch could be added perhaps?
    Automatic fire extinguishers can be had for under £30 on ebay.

My first choice for a cheap heater might be a used eberbasto 'wet' type, as hot water for a shower or just washing up is worth having and saves some camping gaz.

Well I have been educated! Looked at several videos and the burner appears to be a straight copy of the eber. Controls appear different but if they work who cares? Bet the eber electronics are made in china anyway! Agree that for what they are the eber prices are extortionate but I am still gobsmacked that you can get one of these for less than £150...... Main difference is the eber controls are more complicated and have more interlocks for when things go wrong perhaps but its those things that cause more problems when they go wrong and the price of parts is stupid. Keep it simple stupid is a good philosophy. I bet these fires people talk about are due to numpty installers or switching off without allowing the unit to run down on it's own. With these being 10% of the price of an eber if it goes wrong you can dump it and buy another! Puzzled by all this talk of PLANAR units being more expensive though. They are not seemingly so on e bay,,,,,,
    Could it be that they were sold at a price seen to be attractive against Eber originally and have now been overtaken by other importers...... Are PLANAR actually Russian built or rebranded Chinese sold out of Russia perhaps??????

About 10 "Chinese" and 5 Russian" units,most owner installed over last couple of years at our boat club.
    One owner did have a Planar professionaly installed.
    One owner bought a Planar and then bought an additional Chinese unit to heat to the other end of his boat.
    Most simply added the heater unit to existing ducting.
    Cost of repair/ servicing an old Eber usually more expensive than new unit.
    Few teething problems on initial start up,usually due to "finger trouble"
    No known issues or problems afterwards.
    Last edited by oldgit; 17-07-19 at 09:43.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast