Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Rope "lost" in eye splice

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    If the sheets are short, buy a meter or so of line, get large eyes put in each end then cow hitch one end to the sail crinkle and attach the sheets to the other end. You could do similar with twice the length of new line and cow hitch the centre of the line to the crinkle.
    My sheets are done like this, nothing to catch when tacking. Mine are a little longer than they need to be, so i can move the cow hitch a little each season, which moves any wear points.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

I moved to a cow hitch last year and find tacking much smoother.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

The cow hitch will draw very tight and become hard to undo.

There’s a version of this which allows you to change sheets easily; these days it would probably be called a ‘soft shackle’ but it was shown to me by Des Sleightholme in 1975.

Use a single length of rope, middle it and put a racking seizing on to make a soft eye which can just (this is important!) be pushed through the clew crinkle.

Seize a short length of three strand rope to one “leg” of the sheets so that it can be pushed through the eye. Make a stopper knot of your choice on it (eg Matthew Walker) and whip the end.

Push the soft eye through the clew cringle, push the short rope through the soft eye after it has gone through the cringle. It locks into place and can always be undone,

What are these "crinkles"? Don't you guys iron your sails?
    Last edited by Old Bumbulum; 17-07-19 at 09:49.

When I changed the Genoa sheets I went to a single length of rope. I put an Alpine Butterfly knot in the middle and this is attached to the clew with a soft shackle. No more snagging. No more 100mm quick release snap-shackles to be wary of. The Genoa is 35m2.
    It has worked for me.
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

The nice option for dinghy asy sheets is to splice a tail into the middle of the rope, which ties to the sailwith a bowline.
    That way there is even less to catch on the mast or forestay than with a cow hitch, and the leach of the sail is not dragged against the mast so much.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon View Post
    When I changed the Genoa sheets I went to a single length of rope. I put an Alpine Butterfly knot in the middle and this is attached to the clew with a soft shackle. No more snagging. No more 100mm quick release snap-shackles to be wary of.
    It has worked for me.
    Same here, except I used a cow hitch.
    I still haven't got round to trusting soft shackles, which is strange as I totally trust electronic navigation.
    I know it doesn't make sense!!
    PS I quite like Minn's idea.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post

There’s a version of this which allows you to change sheets easily; these days it would probably be called a ‘soft shackle’ but it was shown to me by Des Sleightholme in 1975.

Use a single length of rope, middle it and put a racking seizing on to make a soft eye which can just (this is important!) be pushed through the clew crinkle.

Seize a short length of three strand rope to one “leg” of the sheets so that it can be pushed through the eye. Make a stopper knot of your choice on it (eg Matthew Walker) and whip the end.

Push the soft eye through the clew cringle, push the short rope through the soft eye after it has gone through the cringle. It locks into place and can always be undone,
    A simpler way to achieve this uses a short length of line that, doubled, is a snug fit in the cringle. Tie a reef knot at the middle of the sheet between the sheet and the doubled short length. That forms a loop and 2 tails in the short length. Push the loop through the cringle then the tails through the loop. You can add stoppers on the tails if you feel the need.

+1
    Works a treat provided the hole in the cringle is not too large
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    A previous boat of mine had the sheets attached to the sail with a soft shackle. The sheet was a single piece of rope, double length, simply folded at the mid point and an eye formed there by a long whipping holding the two parts together. Worked great. It was quite a small boat, so I don't know how well that would scale up for a large one.

I think that's what I had, but failed to describe clearly above, except that my 'soft shackle' wasn't attached to the sheet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast