Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Default Goodbye red diesel!

Looks like we are about to lose red diesel

Another consultation for us all to get our teeth into, see HERE

Or for those that don't do Facebook, HERE
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Default Re: Goodbye red diesel!

Certainly looks like it.

The government have every intention to remove the red option.

Quote ''the government intends to implement option C''

Option C = ''Remove the right of private pleasure craft operators to use red diesel for propulsion, thereby requiring them to use white diesel''

The consultation is merely a legal standpoint - the decision has been made.

Hard not to get political on this point but this is purely caused by Belgium complaining in 2010 and the EU commission launching a legal challenge.

If we had left in March when we should have done this little review would not be needed and likely brushed under the carpet

thanks for that.
    Suspect we will all be using white exactly the same as other leisure boaters in Europe have been required to do for many years.
    It does not seem to have affected the popularity of boating over there and no obvious switch to petrol either.
    Any extra income the government can find will probably be welcomed with open arms and as for any return to the halcyon days pre directive days ...................good luck with that.
    Last edited by oldgit; 17-07-19 at 09:12.

Do you think there will be a reduction of fueling places, it will be a huge cost for fuel operators to implement separate systems for red and white diesel for commercial and leisure craft. I guess we will lose access to fuel in some places around the solent / south coast. Maybe we will have the same problem as petrol boats in finding refueling places.

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

As most of the fueling facilities that I can think of in the Solent are run by marinas and the like that would seem to be unlikely.

This issue will be relevant where the main recipient is the local fishing fleet or windfarm service boats.
    Substance over style

How long does red dye stay in the system?

Will it be a year or two before anyone can get upset?

Glad I didn’t buy a boat with a pair of Detroit’s now!

If Boris gets in and does what he says, then we'll be out of EU with no deal on 31/10, so this can all be forgotten about.
    There will be a few rather more important things to deal with in that scenario....

If we end up in a transition sticking to EU rules, we can at least be grateful of the extra 10 years odd of red the HMRC's current scheme has given us. It's not inconceivable even in this scenario that if the red->white transition is several years then it could be binned off a a later date. The extra revenue to HMRC is minuscule and irrelevant.
    Adrian is searching for his next boat....

There has to be a transition period - there are boats on our marina that have done less than 100 hours in 10 years - some even less.

Lets say their tanks are brimmed a week before the ban - they will be sitting with red in their tanks for years. Its not productive, impossible to police and wasteful to remove the red and add white by a certain date

I believe that private planes do not pay VAT on their fuel. Should their owners, as a form of parity with recreational boat owners, give up this concession ?
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    I believe that private planes do not pay VAT on their fuel. Should their owners, as a form of parity with recreational boat owners, give up this concession ?
    In a word, yes

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast