Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Default Re: Goodbye red diesel!

Is all diesel for sale in the Channel Islands duty free and hence red? If so, how are boats registered in the CI's treated when they go to France etc. If they're exempt by virtue of their port of registration, can I register mine their? I could then carry on using red diesel n'cest pas?

Given that Boatworks is likely to sell a lot less diesel to UK boats, is their government being consulted?

If I arrive their with concerns over potential fuel contamination, I can't drain the tanks and refill for the return journey. Potential safety issue? (No, I can't go to France to sort it out as I have a dog on board....)

Are these questions worthy of raising in a response to the consultation?

The RNLI registered charity pay vat and reclaim 100%. All rescue services have this facility I believe

Quote Originally Posted by SimonD View Post
    Are these questions worthy of raising in a response to the consultation?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by R400 View Post
    The RNLI registered charity pay vat and reclaim 100%. All rescue services have this facility I believe
    i dont think charities can claim vat back.

I will not be getting too concerned. This will not be enforced on the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki_ View Post
    I will not be getting too concerned. This will not be enforced on the individual.
    No tank dip testing for dye?

[QUOTE=BruceK;6847842 ....required to drain and scrub the tanks before filling with white. .[/QUOTE]

Hopefully that will not apply and we will be allowed a significant period during which the existing red fuel may be consumed while being diluted with white diesel being added.
    Also the same applies to the marina supply tanks . New white diesel will be tainted with red already in the tank, for some considerable time. This should be tolerated.

History merely repeats itself.
    Remember when the only way to get any power was not technology ( to expensive) but cubes, so everyone fitted a monster filthy gas guzzrling petrol V8 to their performance cars, but Oops along came the fuel crises and rationing and petrol coupons.
    Goodbye Jenson and other dinosaurs of the automotive age.
    Into the gap came the far eastern imports economical and reliable, we carried on with the V8 Rover of course
    Remember when diesel was 10 pence a gallon,there are far more people able to enjoy owning boat now than ever there was then.
    The world was going to end and everyone was going on the streets to riot, when petrol was going to cost over £1.00 a gallon.

I shouldn't worry as most manufacturers have stated electric cars will be dead by 2030 and they are focusing their major investment into hydrogen engines as they have zero tailpipe emissions and near the torgue output of diesels, many major manufacturers are already trialling hydrogen engines for industrial applications.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

I was talking to a French MoBo owner in La Rochelle recently. He told me that their position on filling with red in the CI's is - you are allowed to take on enough to get you back to a convenient French port & must keep your receipt for this. If French customs find you've taken on an excessive amount there are big fines.
    However I also know the French owner of a 9m MoBo kept in Dielette & he tells me that most French owners from there exclusively fill with red in Guernsey.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast