Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Default Re: Goodbye red diesel!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    I know of one place where the fishing fleet are the main consumers of diesel. I doubt whether the harbour will be fitting a separate tank for white diesel. But they may well sell red at white diesel prices. I suspect this is what will happen. The option of the 60/40 split or an other split in duty will simply disappear.
    I thought the idea was we had to have white in our tanks?

Why couldn't a special license to sell marine diesel be established. All marine diesel becomes white, sold to commercial operators at duty free price and to the rest of us at the current non commercial rates. Licensed sellers need to organise pumps so they can not service road users and any licensed seller caught selling outside of marine use gets a hefty fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gordmac View Post
    I thought the idea was we had to have white in our tanks?
    It is.
    But what are people to do if they need fuel and all that is available is red?

I wonder how long it will take to clear the tank and pipes of all traces of the dye and chemicals? I suspect several years in my case as I rarely let the fuel level fall below half before adding fresh fuel.

It is.
    Take themselves to one side and give themselves a quiet word about planning?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.C View Post
    Why couldn't a special license to sell marine diesel be established. All marine diesel becomes white, sold to commercial operators at duty free price and to the rest of us at the current non commercial rates. Licensed sellers need to organise pumps so they can not service road users and any licensed seller caught selling outside of marine use gets a hefty fine.
    Once we have definitively left the EU, that would be an option, but it contravenes EU directives, so we can't do it now.

I wonder how long it will take to clear the tank and pipes of all traces of the dye and chemicals? I suspect several years in my case as I rarely let the fuel level fall below half before adding fresh fuel.
    Took me about 6 hours to remove the cover from the tank on my Hanse, drain off 45 litres with a small pump attached to an electric drill, wipe the tank out, change the filters & using the bellows (I have one fitted for priming) pump the red out of the fuel lines, put in a few litres of white & run it through
    Clean that out, refit the cover & re fill with white.
    That was 5-6 years ago & have used white ever since.

So on a yacht it is not such a long job, if one can run the fuel level down, has some cans to collect the old fuel & has a tank access cover they can get to. It is also a good chance to give the tank a clean out & remove any crud.

Different with a large tank on a MOBO though
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Default Red diesel

Be Interested as to how boaters will justify why derogation should remain under any circumstances
    Why should a tiny minority continue to benefit from paying less to enjoy a hobby..

Only white available at all pumps.
    Commercial users can simply register for an exemption number to pay a lower commercial rate of tax or their purchases.
    All others pay to full duty.
    Anybody registered for VAT will already be on the revenue data base.

Default Re: Red diesel

I dont quite see it that way. I'd like to know where the breakdown spend on collected tax on "marine" fuel duty goes and how much of that is applicable or returned to boating in the same manner that road funding is taken out of taxes earned on forecourt fuel. I agree luxury items get taxed but on the element of ratios here I dont see much marine diesel tax going back into the improvement of govt marine infrastructure nor why it should be taxed at the same rate as road vehicles.

It is.
    That is what I was wondering.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast