Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anchor Camera - The DIY hack

I've been looking at options for an aftermarket anchor camera as my wife is not so much of a morning person, and I like to get out early and find a sandy spot to anchor before they all get taken.

I then discovered the easy route that needed no investment. Stick your GoPro on the bow (with backup leash made of daughters hairbands should the suction mount fail), open the ipad app and watch from the helm. Bingo!

1.jpg

Default Re: Anchor Camera - The DIY hack

Awesome

Yawn...
    On top of having always been useless, the AnCam is so last year, nowadays.
    The BodgeFlow™ is the new black!

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Yawn...
    On top of having always been useless, the AnCam is so last year, nowadays.
    The BodgeFlow™ is the new black!
    P, I bow to the strength of your logic in most arguments, but on this one you are quite wrong. Regardless of how (un)trendy the AnCam may be, they are in fact very, very useful indeed, I use mine literally every time I'm pulling the anchor up. Perhaps less important if you have crew, but if you are effectively single-handed, then they are tremendously helpful.

No worries J, I'm aware that several folks here are strong supporters of the AnCam, and I appreciate its value when single-handed.
    Otoh, I got used to handle the (excellent, but a bit tricky) ground tackle myself with the previous boat, leaving swmbo at the helm.
    A habit which I carried over to the new boat, and which is also the reason why I find it easier to use Mk1 eyeball rather than the AnCam.
    But my previous line was in good spirits, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    P, I bow to the strength of your logic in most arguments, but on this one you are quite wrong. Regardless of how (un)trendy the AnCam may be, they are in fact very, very useful indeed, I use mine literally every time I'm pulling the anchor up. Perhaps less important if you have crew, but if you are effectively single-handed, then they are tremendously helpful.
    +1
    even when you have crew, its so usefull to see from the helm, which direction the chain makes to the ground, especially with a flybridge, when she's swinging in the wind ...

Mine is amazing. I used a wireless tv transmitter so it was also a simple fit

This is simply for single handed use to aid in seeing where there is poseidona or sand which is near on impossible single handed in many or Palma's busy anchorages. It's simple but effective, and much less grumpy than my wife at 6am.

jrudge, how did you get power to yours, is it rechargeable, what screen do you view it on?

We have a Raymarine Axiom chartplotter which runs on Android. I wonder if the GoPro app, or any other for a transmitted camera is available on it?

I use mine to see when SWMBO has finished washing the anchor

Quote Originally Posted by PalmaTarga View Post
    I've been looking at options for an aftermarket anchor camera as my wife is not so much of a morning person, and I like to get out early and find a sandy spot to anchor before they all get taken.

I then discovered the easy route that needed no investment. Stick your GoPro on the bow (with backup leash made of daughters hairbands should the suction mount fail), open the ipad app and watch from the helm. Bingo!

1.jpg
    Cool

What's that yellow float thing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast