Default Finished painting topsides of my Longbow!

Initially it was blue, then i did a dark green, then i regreted it because it was absorbing too much sunlight...Sanded again and finally did it a cream color..
    I did the pant job with a HVLP gun, i learned the hard way ( i was punished to sand again and again until i achieve a surface with minimum orange peel)...

Some advise that will save you some time if you intened to do this...i used 2 part polyurethane paint
    1) You should borrow a good spray gun
    2) 180 grit for surface preperation is not enought. You sould go up to 300 at least.
    3) If you need to do a second coat you must sand the first one up to a 300 again, otherwise the 2nd coat will have a bad looking orange peel.
    4) To my experience, 10% of thinner s a joke...i went up tp 40% otherwise the paint was drying immediatly making a rough surface.
    5) 1st coat is always easy because you see what you do...when doing 2n coat it is hard to see what you have already paint so you need to be very carefull. Try how the 2nd coat looks in a small area. Thats VERY important.
    6) i achieved the best quality by setting the gun for big air pressure , moderate paint with a moderate hand speed..( too fast hand and it becomes blur- to slow and you have runs...)sand.jpggreen.jpgCream.jpg
    Do it yourself and do it good!

Default Re: Finished painting topsides of my Longbow!

That looks great, well done!

Did you create a spray booth to stop clouds of spray paint going all over?

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    That looks great, well done!

Did you create a spray booth to stop clouds of spray paint going all over?
    Thanks!
    That was not nescessary .. its almost impossible to paint a boat near with fumes . If you notice at the green version the paint has hardly gone over the plastic protection at the gunwale. I used a net though to protect the painting from flies and dust which i had to remove for the starboard side because of the wind. Didnt want a net sticking on the fresh paint! I was lucky there were no flies or mosquitos at the moment.

Yes, looks good.
    180 grit will certainly show scratches, I thought that even 300 was a bit coarse but guess that it has worked ok for you.
    I have always thought orange peal was a product of incorrect viscosity or spraying technique rather than the sanding operation
    but my experience has been with cars and acrylic paints.

Quote Originally Posted by pcatterall View Post
    Yes, looks good.
    180 grit will certainly show scratches, I thought that even 300 was a bit coarse but guess that it has worked ok for you.
    I have always thought orange peal was a product of incorrect viscosity or spraying technique rather than the sanding operation
    but my experience has been with cars and acrylic paints.
    Viscosity and technique are the main reasons ofcourse. Too thick paint or slow hand will create orange peel just before it runs. In my occasion i did the first coat that was looking great and then when applied the second without sanding the 1st, i got a bad orange peel using exaclty the same viscosity and hand technique. I then sprayed an empty metal bucket that was nearside and the result was great (smooth surface). So the only wrong thing was i did not sand the 1st coat, which had a very slight orange peel ( hardly visible) and was magnified with the 2nd coat.