Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Honda 2.3 outboard

I have one some 10yrs old.

It has always started Ok just clean carb and plug from time to time.

Is it too late now to replace rusty bolts with SS or just run it until its scrap?

Are there any other parts that corrode.

Default Re: Honda 2.3 outboard

Yes the valve cover , but you can just about get to it without taken the engine out , you may have to cut away a bit of the plastic casing
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Yes the valve cover , but you can just about get to it without taken the engine out , you may have to cut away a bit of the plastic casing
    If you are replacing the stainless bolts, your 3/4 of the way to removing the powerhead. You may as well get the power head on the bench and remove the rocker cover at ease.
    I replace rockers on 90% of my used engines and every single 2 and 2.3 irrespective age. One day you will be glad you did

Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    If you are replacing the stainless bolts, your 3/4 of the way to removing the powerhead. You may as well get the power head on the bench and remove the rocker cover at ease.
    I replace rockers on 90% of my used engines and every single 2 and 2.3 irrespective age. One day you will be glad you did
    Steve you may remember not long again I posted I ended up GRP my cover and you did ask me to let you know if it worked Well five months on used most days and so far so good ,

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Steve you may remember not long again I posted I ended up GRP my cover and you did ask me to let you know if it worked Well five months on used most days and so far so good ,
    That's brilliant.....did you mould a new cover or just cover in glass?

I covered it in glass but I also had to build a new lip and part of the bottom as it totally rushed away .
    Might have a go at the bolts this winter but they will have to be drilled out , I know there not much left of the tops , can't even force a smaller socket on .
    That's going to be fun .

I also has a push rod break , again ended up making one out of a thread rod , bit tricky making the cups each end , so far so good .

The carburettor float chamber rusted on mine but the whole thing was stolen so I hope the thieving git gets a leak and suffers.

Leave the rocker cover in place...put the spark plug in and drill them using a pillar drill. Retap with an m5 tap. Leaving the rocker on saves swarf entering the block. That's the quickest and easiest way to do it. Don't attempt to remove the exhaust. You will be able to remove the power head without removing the exhaust. Take off the power head with the grey cowl attached...turn it upside down and take off the tiller arm. Once you have removed the retaining bolts you will be able to remove the lower cowl leaving just the power head and clutch in one piece. If you try to remove the exhaust it will cause you days of grief......trust me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    Leave the rocker cover in place...put the spark plug in and drill them using a pillar drill. Retap with an m5 tap. Leaving the rocker on saves swarf entering the block. That's the quickest and easiest way to do it. Don't attempt to remove the exhaust. You will be able to remove the power head without removing the exhaust. Take off the power head with the grey cowl attached...turn it upside down and take off the tiller arm. Once you have removed the retaining bolts you will be able to remove the lower cowl leaving just the power head and clutch in one piece. If you try to remove the exhaust it will cause you days of grief......trust me!!!
    Thanks , I have a go this winter . I know what you mean about exhaust, I think mine be impossible to remove

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast