Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

Dont want to teach you to suck eggs but have you checked the spark plug gap

They don't like lying on the wrong side. And they certainly don't like being upside down. The oil drains into the carb.

Mine had the same problem the other day when I changed the oil. (Fool! It it 'aint broke...)

I bet it will start first time if it's been upright for a while. Particularly if it thinks you don't need to use it...

If you can get it to me I will sort it for you and give you a few pointers...no charge obviously

Itís a brand new plug, the one that came with the engine. The gap looks normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffles View Post
    They don't like lying on the wrong side. And they certainly don't like being upside down. The oil drains into the carb.

Mine had the same problem the other day when I changed the oil. (Fool! It it 'aint broke...)

I bet it will start first time if it's been upright for a while. Particularly if it thinks you don't need to use it...
    1) New, no oil or fuel in it
    2) Motor inverted accidentally (On pushpit, not near water)
    3) Put back upright immediately
    4) OP then added oil and fresh fuel

Oil could only drain into carb. if it had been shipped with oil. Unlikely and OP would have spotted it anyway. Might have been a tiny amount of oil but that's not very likely to rush rapidly to the carb.

Stuck float does sound like a possibility, might happen if inverted before it ever had any fuel. Of course it might be a manufacturing fault and it's possible engine wouldn't have started anyway. I imagine OP would have contacted the dealer first if he hadn't inverted it. Probably still a good idea.
    Last edited by Mistroma; 18-07-19 at 14:42.

I don't think I have ever seen a thread on PBO where the original post seems to have had little relevance to so many of the subsequent posts.

I would only repeat my earlier point .... chuck a few mls of petrol into the air intake and try to start it a few times. That will quickly and easily narrow down the problem.

Richard

A brand new engine, doesn’t start - whats to discuss? Get it back to the supplier because otherwise you’ll probably invalidate the warranty through tampering with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Austerby View Post
    It’s a brand new plug, the one that came with the engine. The gap looks normal.
    The gap should be between 0.60 and 0.70 mm. Have you checked it?

The fuel was bought the same day as I was trying to start the engine.

I could send it back but want to get it working sooner than it would take to get it back.

If there is no spark what are the next steps?

Check the plug lead , double check the stop/kill switch and its wiring.

Check that the ignition coil is securely mounted and correctly positioned. See the workshop manual for details

Also check the coil resistance but remember a correct resistance does not guarantee a good coil.

If nothing wrong found take Steve 66 up on his offer .
    Last edited by VicS; 18-07-19 at 16:51.

How do I check the spark? I took the plug out and, with it still connected to the lead, pulled the starter handle but there was no sign of anything happening - and the starter cord pulled through without seeming to turn the engine, ie not the usual feelings of resistance when pulling out the cord.

How do I check the spark? I took the plug out and, with it still connected to the lead, pulled the starter handle but there was no sign of anything happening - and the starter cord pulled through without seeming to turn the engine, ie not the usual feelings of resistance when pulling out the cord.
    Then im afraid there is no hope of you ever finding out the problem yourself as your knowledge base on simple internal combustion engines is somewhat lacking
    All "How To`s" are on you tube

Is this all a wind-up

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast