Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

I use a socket bit with appropriate sized socket to fit the crank nut, put the bit in a drill then spin the flywheel

A while ago someone posted a link to an online version of Honda workshop manual.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/honda/manuals/bf2dws.html#/8

It shows how to check that the sparkplug is actually sparking.

Steve kindly gave me advice on how to recover my dunked H2.3, but I understand your problem does not involve water.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    Is this all a wind-up
    That thought has crossed my mind as well. I've explained twice now what the simplest first step to take is but there has been no response from the OP at all.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Austerby View Post
    How do I check the spark? I took the plug out and, with it still connected to the lead, pulled the starter handle but there was no sign of anything happening - and the starter cord pulled through without seeming to turn the engine, ie not the usual feelings of resistance when pulling out the cord.
    Normally I would say that you use a spark tester. One which connecst to the plug lead and to a metal part of the engine with electrodes inside with an adjustable gap. ( or a homemade one with a couple of nails hammered through a piece of dry wood with their points bent over to make a 7/16" gap.)
    If , however, you get no spark at all across the plug electrodes, assuming you are "grounding" the body of the plug to a metal part of the engine, then you can reasonably assume that there is an ignition defect , but check the kill switch again, preferably by disconnecting the wiring.

If you do not feel any resistance to pulling the cord with the spark plug fitted then you have no compression. Either a major problem with the engine or as I suggested earlier you have a stuck valve. You may be feeling the effect of a stuck valve that skipper_stu, or whatever he now calls himself, suggested in #18.
    BUT you should not feel any significant resistance to pulling the cord with the plug out.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    Then im afraid there is no hope of you ever finding out the problem yourself as your knowledge base on simple internal combustion engines is somewhat lacking
    All "How To`s" are on you tube

Is this all a wind-up
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    That thought has crossed my mind as well. I've explained twice now what the simplest first step to take is but there has been no response from the OP at all.

Richard
    "chuck a few mls of petrol into the air intake and try to start it a few times."
    Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...i0H7vjOtyRh.99

Perhaps he thinks that is a wind up!
    Last edited by VicS; 21-07-19 at 09:48.

To be fair, I don't think anyone has told him how to check for a spark.

They say check for a spark. You all assume people know how to do this. Modern car drivers have feck all idea what happens under their computer controlled bonnet. They have never sprayed wd40 on the distributor cap on a damp day or cleaned points etc.

So (you may need two people).

Kill cord in place
    Plug out of the hole. Hold the body of the plug against the engine metalwork.
    Pull the starter
    A tiny spark should jump across the central pin to the bent bit above it. It wont if the plug inst touching the engine.
    You see it better in shade / dark.

I doubt I could hold the plug, pull the starter and look for spark at once...

No spark? I'd suspect the KCord.

I have not read all comments so this may have already been asked and answered.
    Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
    Is the oil the OP hadn’t put in the 2 stroke oil or the engine oil?
    If a 4 stroke and had engine oil in this would have seeped into the combustion chamber and possibly hydraulically locked engine and soaked the plug

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    I have not read all comments so this may have already been asked and answered.
    Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
    Is the oil the OP hadn’t put in the 2 stroke oil or the engine oil?
    If a 4 stroke and had engine oil in this would have seeped into the combustion chamber and possibly hydraulically locked engine and soaked the plug
    The plug is "dry". It's a brand new 2.3 honda. So 4s?

Oh and it hadn't even been oiled yet

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Perhaps he thinks that is a wind up!
    I don't know why he would think that as it's what experienced engineers have been doing since the internal combustion engine was first invented.

Having said that, we're not sure that he knows how to test for a spark either, so who knows what's really going on.

Richard

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast