Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 111
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    west midlands
    Posts
    1,018

    Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    To be fair, I don't think anyone has told him how to check for a spark.

    They say check for a spark. You all assume people know how to do this. Modern car drivers have feck all idea what happens under their computer controlled bonnet. They have never sprayed wd40 on the distributor cap on a damp day or cleaned points etc.

    So (you may need two people).

    Kill cord in place
    Plug out of the hole. Hold the body of the plug against the engine metalwork.
    Pull the starter
    A tiny spark should jump across the central pin to the bent bit above it. It wont if the plug inst touching the engine.
    You see it better in shade / dark.

    I doubt I could hold the plug, pull the starter and look for spark at once...

    No spark? I'd suspect the KCord.
    I explained how to check for a spark

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South of France.
    Posts
    4,103

    Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

    I inherited a 4hp Yamaha which came with a dinghy on a boat I bought ... couldn't start the thing for love or money. Turned out there was a little master switch underneath the front of the cover, couldn't see it unless you looked from underneath! - found it, switched it, started first go. If all else fails ... read the handbook! ......
    _______________________

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Home: Kent. Boat: Chichester
    Posts
    43,420

    Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher 5 View Post
    I inherited a 4hp Yamaha which came with a dinghy on a boat I bought ... couldn't start the thing for love or money. Turned out there was a little master switch underneath the front of the cover, couldn't see it unless you looked from underneath! - found it, switched it, started first go. If all else fails ... read the handbook! ......
    The manual for the Honda 2.3 is here: https://www.honda.co.jp/ownersmanual...e&model=BF2.3D

    Can you please point out where this is mentioned or where this switch is located.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South of France.
    Posts
    4,103

    Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    The manual for the Honda 2.3 is here: https://www.honda.co.jp/ownersmanual...e&model=BF2.3D

    Can you please point out where this is mentioned or where this switch is located.
    As I said above mine was a Yamaha but I had the same problem … until I found the switch!
    In the Honda Manual there's reference to an emergency stop switch on page 11 … might just be that! Only a suggestion but that was my problem and I did feel a bit silly when I discovered that's all it was! ….
    _______________________

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    west midlands
    Posts
    1,018

    Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher 5 View Post
    As I said above mine was a Yamaha but I had the same problem … until I found the switch!
    In the Honda Manual there's reference to an emergency stop switch on page 11 … might just be that! Only a suggestion but that was my problem and I did feel a bit silly when I discovered that's all it was! ….
    The only switch is the kill cord. There is nothing wrong with the engine if the OP is correct what he is saying....just user error

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,494

    Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    I explained how to check for a spark
    I'm not seeing that? Dunno why!

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    west midlands
    Posts
    1,018

    Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

    start

    I use a socket bit with appropriate sized socket to fit the crank nut, put the bit in a drill then spin the flywheel


    Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...dAYxRSc5EEu.99

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    340

    Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    The plug is "dry". It's a brand new 2.3 honda. So 4s?
    I had heard that Honda had restarted making 2 strokes again, hence my question

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    west midlands
    Posts
    1,018

    Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

    AFAIK honda have never built a 2 stroke outboard....happy to be corrected though

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    340

    Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    AFAIK honda have never built a 2 stroke outboard....happy to be corrected though
    It seems every one else is making 2 strokes, not Honda

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to