Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    start

I use a socket bit with appropriate sized socket to fit the crank nut, put the bit in a drill then spin the flywheel

Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...dAYxRSc5EEu.99
    Yeah - I see that post. But I don't see where you explained how to check the spark was there for someone who has no idea how!

AFAIK honda have never built a 2 stroke outboard....happy to be corrected though
    You are correct. Honda has never produced a 2 stroke outboard.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

RichardS may be right, check the kill switch, if itís not fitted correctly there wonít be a spark.

I'm the OP back. Please forgive my lack of engine knowledge, this is why I'm asking questions here.

I have a non-working outboard and I don't know why it isn't starting. I have explained the context and I've received some very helpful ideas, many of which have been followed up by me, though the outboard still doesn't start.

VicS helpfully suggested checking the spark, but I didn't know how to do it, asked here and was given something of a flea in my ear. Then it turns out I need a new piece of kit - a spark tester - which I didn't know existed.

Another suggestion has been to "chucking a ml or two of petrol into the air intake" - but doesn't give any more details - do I do this when pulling on the cord? before?

As for "I use a socket bit with appropriate sized socket to fit the crank nut, put the bit in a drill then spin the flywheel" I don't know if this is an anecdote or an instruction.

Call me whatever names you like, but my outboard still isn't starting and no one's come up with any suggestion that actually works...

Quote Originally Posted by Austerby View Post
    I'm the OP back. Please forgive my lack of engine knowledge, this is why I'm asking questions here.

I have a non-working outboard and I don't know why it isn't starting. I have explained the context and I've received some very helpful ideas, many of which have been followed up by me, though the outboard still doesn't start.

VicS helpfully suggested checking the spark, but I didn't know how to do it, asked here and was given something of a flea in my ear. Then it turns out I need a new piece of kit - a spark tester - which I didn't know existed.

Another suggestion has been to "chucking a ml or two of petrol into the air intake" - but doesn't give any more details - do I do this when pulling on the cord? before?

As for "I use a socket bit with appropriate sized socket to fit the crank nut, put the bit in a drill then spin the flywheel" I don't know if this is an anecdote or an instruction.

Call me whatever names you like, but my outboard still isn't starting and no one's come up with any suggestion that actually works...
    My offer still stands....bring it to me.Happy to show you how to start and this to keep it running correctly.

My offer still stands....bring it to me.Happy to show you how to start and this to keep it running correctly.
    Thank you, appreciated. Looks like you're in the midlands and I'm in the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Austerby View Post

Trust me, no-one is calling you names are we are all trying to be helpful but I think we are all finding it unusual to be addressing a query from someone who is starting from where you clearly are.

Having said that, I think the person who suggested that you would be best advised to take the outboard back to the retailer was on the right track. You should not mention inverting it because that is entirely irrelevant since as the engine was shipped from Japan, or wherever it was made, it will probably have been more or less inverted many times in transit before it arrived at your house. It doesn't mean anything so just forget about that fact.

The problem is that if you do some damage to it in trying to diagnose the problem, you might invalidate the guarantee and it might just be that there is something wrong with the engine and that it will never start. I accept that this is unlikely with Honda but, if it is a genuinely faulty engine, you do need to be careful.

If you want to try the petrol in the intake method, which is probably the least likely thing to cause anything which might be detected by the retailer, then simply find the air intake at the side of the carburettor. It will probably have a wire mesh across the front of it. Then tip the engine over a little, not right over now you have oil in it, and pour a half-teaspoon of petrol into the gauze as best as you can. Depending on the angle, you might have to flick the spoon to get as much as you can past the gauze. Then stand the engine up again and firmly pull the starter two or three times. If nothing happens, do the same again with another half-teaspoon and give it a few more pulls.

You will immediately know if the engine fires and whether it then quickly dies. If it fires and quickly dies try it again with the choke out and the fuel turned on.

If nothing at all happens then I think the engine is going to have to go back but come back here and report what happened first.

Richard
    Last edited by RichardS; 21-07-19 at 21:27.

RichardS, thank you. I'll try that, probably Tuesday evening will be my first chance to do it. I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS;6851046

[COLOR="#FF0000"
    If you want to try the petrol in the intake method, which is probably the least likely thing to cause anything which might be detected by the retailer, then simply find the air intake at the side of the carburettor. It will probably have a wire mesh across the front of it. Then tip the engine over a little, not right over now you have oil in it, and pour a half-teaspoon of petrol into the gauze as best as you can. Depending on the angle, you might have to flick the spoon to get as much as you can past the gauze. [/COLOR]Then stand the engine up again and firmly pull the starter two or three times. If nothing happens, do the same again with another half-teaspoon and give it a few more pulls.

You will immediately know if the engine fires and whether it then quickly dies. If it fires and quickly dies try it again with the choke out and the fuel turned on.

If nothing at all happens then I think the engine is going to have to go back but come back here and report what happened first.

Richard
    Sorry but the air intake is nothing like you describe.

I think it will be necessary to remove the muffler from the top of the air gude and introduce the petrol into the air guide. Taking care that it does not go down the breather into the crankcase

I think I would prefer to use a can of "Easy Start". There would be no objection to using it on a fourstroke.
    Last edited by VicS; 21-07-19 at 22:02.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post

I think it will be necessary to remove the muffler from the top of the air gude and introduce the petrol into the air guide. Taking care that it does not go down the breather into the crankcase

I think I would prefer to use a can of "Easy Start". There would be no objection to using it on a fourstroke.
    Diagram of air intake. The inlet to the muffler #6 is on its underside. I dont think you will be able to flick a spoonful of petrol into it

https://peparts.honda.com/image.ashx...AG01-ZVA4E1500

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast