Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Outboard inverted, now it won't start

I have a new Honda 2.3hp outboard which got accidentally inverted when the pushpit-mounted storage board swiveled vertically 180deg when I put it on there. Caught me by surprise (I thought the bolts were tight) and it was upside down before I knew it.

It is new but has been in storage and was never started - I was putting it there before putting the oil and fuel in it to get it started for the first time.

It's now oiled and fueled but now it won't start at all - there is seemingly no life when I pull the starter cable (and I've carefully checked that the fuel is on, breather valve open, choke out, safety lanyard attached, neutral selected, throttle in correct position etc.).

Any suggestions as to what could be the cure?

Many thanks.

Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

does it turn over
    have you had the spark plug out

Quote Originally Posted by Austerby View Post
    I have a new Honda 2.3hp outboard which got accidentally inverted when the pushpit-mounted storage board swiveled vertically 180deg when I put it on there. Caught me by surprise (I thought the bolts were tight) and it was upside down before I knew it.

It is new but has been in storage and was never started - I was putting it there before putting the oil and fuel in it to get it started for the first time.

It's now oiled and fueled but now it won't start at all - there is seemingly no life when I pull the starter cable (and I've carefully checked that the fuel is on, breather valve open, choke out, safety lanyard attached, neutral selected, throttle in correct position etc.).

Many thanks.
    Has the engine lost compression?. You will need to remove the power head. The clutch is a semi-sealed unit and of salt water has entered the clutch unit via the breather pipe it will seize up the centre bearing. It's very very common and is one of my most common repair jobs on used 2 and 2.3 Hondas.
    If compression is down the power head will need stripping.
    Whatever the damage and age of the outboard the repair is economical unless you venture to a main dealer.
    Happy to guide you through any repairs or questions should you want to repair yourself.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    Has the engine lost compression?. You will need to remove the power head. The clutch is a semi-sealed unit and of salt water has entered the clutch unit via the breather pipe it will seize up the centre bearing. It's very very common and is one of my most common repair jobs on used 2 and 2.3 Hondas.
    If compression is down the power head will need stripping.
    Whatever the damage and age of the outboard the repair is economical unless you venture to a main dealer.
    Happy to guide you through any repairs or questions should you want to repair yourself.
    Steve
    Its new and never been started, so unlikely to be corrosion or wear. More likely a manufacturing fault, or faulty part. 1st check, is there a spark? If not is the stop switch working? It should switch on to kill the engine. Verify function with a meter.
    if its never been run, is it under warranty? Inverting it without oil or fuel in it shouldnt do any harm in itself.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by oldharry View Post
    Its new and never been started, so unlikely to be corrosion or wear. More likely a manufacturing fault, or faulty part. 1st check, is there a spark? If not is the stop switch working? It should switch on to kill the engine. Verify function with a meter.
    if its never been run, is it under warranty? Inverting it without oil or fuel in it shouldnt do any harm in itself.
    Apologies....missed the no oil and fuel sentence.
    Ok did you drain the carb? Is the fuel fresh from the pump?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Austerby View Post

Many thanks.
    I'm reading your post to mean that the new outboard, with no fuel or oil in it, was inverted in air rather than underwater. In which case the inversion should not have caused any problem at all.

It might be the kill switch key which is not properly pushed home or not properly located. Try pulling out the kill switch and wedging it out with a bit or string or wire or something and try to start it again.

Richard

Hydrostatic lock bent pushrods........water in clutch.....salt water in open main bearings.....a dunked 4 stroke with no.oil is disastrous compared to a dunked engine full of oil

Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    Hydrostatic lock bent pushrods........water in clutch.....salt water in open main bearings.....a dunked 4 stroke with no.oil is disastrous compared to a dunked engine full of oil
    But was it actually dunked or just inverted in air?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

Richard
    Well spotted Richard......

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

Richard
    OP Says it was on the pushpit rail and the mounting board capsized. Nothing about it goin in the oggin. If it did fall off, then yes, disaster if it had no oil or fuel protecting it!

I had a well used 2T Johnson 4 came off the pushpit rail and was submerged for 6 hours till the tide dropped. Soaked everything in WD40 for around an hour, cleaned out the carb etc, it started almost immediately and gave many years more good service. Actually started and ran better afterwards! But I guess I was dead lucky!
    Last edited by oldharry; 17-07-19 at 21:35.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast