Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Outboard inverted, now it won't start

I'm the OP. Thanks for your replies - to be clear, it has not been near water yet, apart from in the test tank I was using for the first start. It went upside down in the air, as it came out of the box and placed in what was thought to be a stable place, before it was oiled or fuelled, with fresh oil and petrol.

I have juggled the kill switch - I'm using the kill cord that came with the engine.

I can pull the starting cable out easily enough, but nothing happens, no signs of life.

I did take out and check the spark plug but it's brand new, so was fine.

I'm not sure if there is a spark being generated by the pull on the starter at all.

I have left the engine for a few days since trying and it'll be the weekend before I can try it again.

Thanks again for your suggestions, ,all very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Austerby View Post
    I'm the OP. Thanks for your replies - to be clear, it has not been near water yet, apart from in the test tank I was using for the first start. It went upside down in the air, as it came out of the box and placed in what was thought to be a stable place, before it was oiled or fuelled, with fresh oil and petrol.

I have juggled the kill switch - I'm using the kill cord that came with the engine.

I can pull the starting cable out easily enough, but nothing happens, no signs of life.

I did take out and check the spark plug but it's brand new, so was fine.

I'm not sure if there is a spark being generated by the pull on the starter at all.

I have left the engine for a few days since trying and it'll be the weekend before I can try it again.

Thanks again for your suggestions, ,all very useful.
    Then check the spark before you go chasing any other theories or red herrings. In free air it should jump about 1 cm. If no spark disconnect and insulate the wiring to the kill witch (if possible) and try again

If you get a good 1 cm spark look at fuel issues. Is the float chamber filling or is the float stuck in the up position?

Unlikely but maybe during storage one of the valves has stuck open. A compression test will reveal this if so

If you think that there is a spark, or indeed, if you're not sure, trying chucking a ml or two of petrol into the air intake and then give her a few pulls. If you get a firing or two then the spark is probably OK and you have a fuelling issue (you are remembering to turn the fuel tap on?). If the engine completely refuses to fire, then it's probably an electrical problem.

Richard

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Is the plug wet? If it’s not, then the chances are that the fuel isn’t getting to the carb. I’ve had this problem and found it was the fuel tap that had disintegrated inside (rubber washers failed) and blocked the fuel flow. You can check if there’s fuel getting to the carb by either removing the fuel hose and turning the tap on or removing the drain screw from the carb bowl and seeing if fuel comes out.

Sounds like no petrol is getting to carb. My 4 stroke has a small tank on top and that takes a bit to start if not used for a while. does it smell of petrol after a while of trying to start it?if not its not getting through.

With no fuel in there and bring inverted then the float or the needle could now be stuck in the closed position.
    So check for spark and try putting some fuel on the air intake with the air filter removed.
    Alternatively before that give the bloody thing a good shake. They type that. shows it who is boss.

Assuming that you bought it brand new and never splashed, why not take it back & ask the dealership to start it?
    Maybe Iíve missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Then check the spark before you go chasing any other theories or red herrings. In free air it should jump about 1 cm. If no spark disconnect and insulate the wiring to the kill witch (if possible) and try again

If you get a good 1 cm spark look at fuel issues. Is the float chamber filling or is the float stuck in the up position?

Unlikely but maybe during storage one of the valves has stuck open. A compression test will reveal this if so
    If a valve had stuck open the op will have felt it!

Hi drain the fuel out of the fuel tank and carb bowl. Fill with fresh fuel from a petrol station.
    That's 95% of starting issues with Honda 2.3hps

The fuel was bought the same day as I was trying to start the engine.

I could send it back but want to get it working sooner than it would take to get it back.

If there is no spark what are the next steps?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast