Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Superyacht Crash

Now, I think he's being a bit of a drama queen but what do you reckon?

More importantly, what's your take on the arrangement of the ground lines?

Default Re: Superyacht Crash

Ultimately he is the captain in charge of his vessel and he has to take full responsibility for what happened.
    Fortunately no one got hurt
    Brave to post this and hopefully will learn from it as will others who see it.
    TBH, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. That berth is very tight and the lines make it next to impossible to get in.
    Accidents happen and when they do we try to make sure they don't happen again. Thats life

One thing that I learned from the Discovery channel series on a superyacht yard, is that these boats are all filler.
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Good on him for posting. He sounded gutted.

My youtube vlog would only contain “screwed up that manoeuvre”

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Now, I think he's being a bit of a drama queen but what do you reckon?
    More importantly, what's your take on the arrangement of the ground lines?
    I'm actually surprised to hear that "only" the fender grabbed the port ground line of the stbd boat.
    If they would have hooked it with the stbd fin, the consequences would have been worse.

Anyhow, since that chap asked his viewers who they would blame, I'd go for BOTH the harbour master and himself, but for none of the reasons mentioned in the video. The first shouldn't have instructed a boat so wide and so longer than the others to enter that spot, and the captain should have refused the offer - it's that simple, imho.
    I appreciate that it can be difficult to do that when you are boating for business, but by what can be seen of port side approach, I can't imagine how the maneuver as such could have been handled better.
    Otoh, if a space is too tight, it's too tight.

Considering the size and weight of those things I thought the damage insignificant. Not what I'd call a crash. Bit OTT there. He should spend some time on a working ship. He'd learn quickly that the ratio of dings and scrapes is proportional to the crew's desire to get off the tub and find a bar serving cheap grog, lots of it, and women. Mind you, if I was presented a space like that to park my boat in I might also be reduced to a simpering pansy.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Anyhow, since that chap asked his viewers who they would blame, I'd go for BOTH the harbour master and himself, but for none of the reasons mentioned in the video. .
    I dont blame the harbour master. It is the skipper's ultimate responsibility to decide whether or not the berth is suitable. Apart from the skipper, I would also blame the crew person stationed on the foredeck who seemed to be too focussed on the port side (understandable as the wind was pushing the boat in that direction) but should have spotted the danger of the fenders hanging up on the starboard side

I should also add that I do subscribe to Tristan Mortlock's channel and I find his videos very informative on how a superyacht works

Drama queen. He should have asked for the neighbouring boats ground line to be dropped. That was Porto rotondo in Sardinia with plenty of harbour staff on hand.
    He needs to a stern throttle set, for the sake of his neighbours.
    I don’t like the channel- he is a proper drama queen. That ship is kept in a pretty messy state imho. I guess the owner is in on the channel and happy for the boat to be shown. Why he allows it to be shown in such a mess is baffling.

He does go on a bit. 17 minutes could have been easily condensed into 5 mins max.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast