Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Superyacht Crash

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Yes but thats his domain. Surely what matters on a charter yacht are the parts of the yacht used by guests and the oily bits which, so far as I can see from previous videos, are pretty slick. Not forgetting that this is not a young boat either
    No itís not his domain, at least not in my book. I would fire a guy who kept things that u tidy on my boat. The whole boat is the owners domain at least to the point of requiring it be kept tidy. Anyway, other places are untidy, like random fenders/untidy covers on foredeck.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Not sure to agree with that, J.
    Your comment made me curious to have another look at the video, and I still think the marina should be ashamed of having given that berth to a boat of that size - not that they will be, of course!
    Just look at the frame below: no way the Benetti would be so pressed against the SL by mooring lines alone.
    The first was obviously forced in that position also by the next boats on her stbd side, towards the marina entrance.
    Not to mention the MCY on port side of the SL, which only had another boat (a funny one btw, can anyone spot what she is?) between her and the concrete dock on the marina building.

My guess is that some marinero checked the width available at the dock end and confirmed that the SL would fit, but that's not good enough, in my books.
    One thing is squeezing in between two 50 footers by bumping them away with fenders, and another is moving 300T worth of boat inside some other big vessels already tightly squeezed in their slot, which can only move sideways a few inches, if that.
    Of course you can try, but getting in and out completely unscathed is more a matter of sheer luck rather than competence, imho.
    Mapis, it’s a matter of fenders, not luck. squeezing in 50/60/70 m yachts like that is common in many ports. Port canto (Cannes) comes to mind where exactly this happens.
    Last edited by jfm; 18-07-19 at 18:49.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    It seems strange to me that the ground line of the adjacent yacht was so far across. Could it be that they were using the wrong line?
    Nope

I think if you can get to the end of the video you will hear the skipper pointing out that the port ground line of the yacht on the starboard side was attached to the same bit of chain as his starboard line so it was inevitable that it would be an obstruction
    its was attached to the same block or fairway chain, not the ground line chain- just for clarity / you were not saying it wasn’t.
    But that set up is completely normal and correct. It’s obviously how you do it if you were building a med marina and no it does not inevitably cause an obstruction. . The odd thing was that this skipper was so surprised by it! There is a cluelessness about him - do others disagree and see him as super competent?
    My hunch is that the benetti to his starboard side was somehow displaced a bit clockwise thus making the ground line obstruct, but I’m not sure. Would need a drone shot to see that properly.
    Last edited by jfm; 18-07-19 at 18:35.

Do owners of theses yachts know before buying a yacht that they will be packed in like sardines hardly luxury and in no way private,why do they like getting together so much?

That sounds an odd comment. There is limited marina space. You can get X boats in tightly, or 0.7X in with big gaps. Leaving 0.3X homeless and berth prices at x1.4 current prices. Which is better?
    Obviously the owners know this before buying.

Its very common. When I first got my berth in Antibes, it was so tight that getting in and out required the crew to lift each individual fender on both sides over the fenders on the adjacent boats because there simply wasnt enough space for the fenders to slide past each other. The upside of that is that coming back into the berth, once you get a bit of the stern of the boat in, youre not going anywhere so the rest of the mooring manoeuvre is pretty relaxed. The marina has cracked down on max boat widths now and in any case one of my neighbours has moved on so my berth isnt so tight anymore but we still have to watch the fenders in case they get caught up with those on the adjacent boats
    Is it at all an option for you to not put fenders out when docking and just rely on the fenders of the adjacent boat until you are in place (given that the adjacent boats have enough fenders out)? For the very large boats (like in this video) I understand that this could lead to a risk of the fenders getting squeezed flat but I don't know for smaller boats?

The practice on crewed big luxury yachts is to walk the fenders down the sides. And there always seems to be crew on the stationary boats in case the boat next to you moves. But there didnít seem to be any crew on the starboard boat (that got damaged)
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Mapis, itís a matter of fenders, not luck. squeezing in 50/60/70 m yachts like that is common in many ports.
    Port canto (Cannes) comes to mind where exactly this happens.
    I'm aware that this happens in many "must be there" places.
    If that's what luxury boating is all about, well, better them than me.

Regardless, I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
    When fenders must be placed like in the pic I posted (and in other silly ways/positions visible in the video), you can have as many as you want and place them anywhere from the radar arch down to the keel.
    Hitting (hence scratching at best, or damaging at worst) boats or not will always be first and foremost just a matter of luck, imho.

I watched about 10 seconds and thought I wouldnít invest another 16 minutes and 41 seconds in a load of snowflakery and would just leap to a set of conclusions which are: someone fouled up. It was fixable with money.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast