Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: HMRC consultation on Red Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    You don't have to buy fuel at the quayside. You can buy it where you fill your car and carry it to the boat.
    The main reason no white diesel is available at the quayside is that there is no market for it while everyone buys red.
    I'm sure that works if you're berthed in a marina, and only venture out on short excursions. Since my boat is moored out on a swinging mooring, and most of our cruises are for three weeks or so (apart from our main cruise, where she is off the mooring for about ten weeks), the notion of carrying diesel in sufficient quantities in containers, is ludicrous.

Still, if we're leaving the EU anyway, there will be no need to comply with EU dictates, unless you want to go foreign, in which case obviously, you have to comply with the foreign country's laws, like driving on the correct side of the road.

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    Why not? That's what we've got at our marina. It's what they've got ina lot of other places too

The whole point of these off the shelf self contained bunded tanks is that they meet all the regulations and require no additional infrastructure other than a flat base and a power supply (if it is a powered pump, they can be supplied with manual pumps too)
    I'm in Lochinver at the moment. The Highland Council harbours' office is here, home of the manager of all the council harbours, Tony Usher. I went in for a quick chat to see what the harbours' office thought about whether the council would be able to afford, or if it would be worthwhile, to install separate facilities for white diesel where there are currently facilities for red. I suggested that the cost of the equipment, given that's there's an existing flat area with electricity supply, would be £2k to £5k, given the posts on this thread. The answer was that there is no budget to spend this money in any of the harbours the council runs & none of those harbours sell sufficient diesel to leisure boats to justify it.

The only Highland harbour that might do it is Ullapool as it's not council run & they seem to have budget for infrastructure. I expect the Outer Hebrides will be in a similar position, with only non-council run Stornoway having the budget to do it.
    Last edited by AngusMcDoon; 18-07-19 at 09:52.
    Andersen 22. The best winch never made.
    miniwinwm.wixsite.com/miniwinwm

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    I'm in Lochinver at the moment. The Highland Council harbours' office is here, home of the manager of all the council harbours, Tony Usher. I went in for a quick chat to see what the harbours' office thought about whether the council would be able to afford, or if it would be worthwhile, to install separate facilities for white diesel where there are currently facilities for red. I suggested that the cost of the equipment, given that's there's an existing flat area with electricity supply, would be £2k to £5k, given the posts on this thread. His answer was that there is no budget to spend this money in any of the harbours he runs & none of those harbours sell sufficient diesel to leisure boats to justify it.

The only Highland harbour that might do it is Ullapool as it's not council run & they seem to have budget for infrastructure. I expect the Outer Hebrides will be in a similar position, with only non-council run Stornoway having the budget to do it.
    £2k split between the boat owners in a region? Small beer.
    The trouble is, the smaller users will just use cans, so it's only a few who really want quayside fuel that badly. And any bigger boats will probably consider buying fuel while they are near the bigger ports. Maybe some largish yachts will want bigger tanks. Maybe people will consider fuel when they decide how big a boat to get, that's the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    I'm sure that works if you're berthed in a marina, and only venture out on short excursions. Since my boat is moored out on a swinging mooring, and most of our cruises are for three weeks or so (apart from our main cruise, where she is off the mooring for about ten weeks), the notion of carrying diesel in sufficient quantities in containers, is ludicrous.
    I'm out for 4 months each summer up & down the west coast & islands from Kirkcudbright to Kinlochbervie. My boat is petrol powered. There are no waterside petrol pumps beyond the Clyde that I'm aware of, so all my fuel arrives on board by cans. I've learned where the harbours are that have a roadside supply near the water, or harbour masters who will give a lift to get fuel (Castlebay, Lochaline, Lochinver).

Doable? Yes.
    Inconvenient? Yes.
    Ludicrous? No.

Not everyone has a boat like yours, & we manage ok. It's the diesel powered leisure motor boats in far flung parts who will suffer the most.

mmm. dunno. we use only about 2-300litres per year, and its almost all via cans. its a PITA, tho doable.

more than happy to buy red diesel, taxed - is this going to be an option?

Not really a big deal for us raggies. The stinkpot owners will get a nasty shock though, when their fill-up costs double from £1,000 a go to £2,000 a go.

Expect to see lots for sale and prices dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by bikedaft View Post
    mmm. dunno. we use only about 2-300litres per year, and its almost all via cans. its a PITA, tho doable.

more than happy to buy red diesel, taxed - is this going to be an option?
    Not if the EU have their way, because it's using marked fuel that they object to, not the duty discount. Even with Brexit, if we're in some funny half in half out state, we might still have to comply. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    Not really a big deal for us raggies. The stinkpot owners will get a nasty shock though, when their fill-up costs double from £1,000 a go to £2,000 a go.

Expect to see lots for sale and prices dropping.
    Why will their costs double - they are/should be paying tax already, it's just that they get red diesel at white diesel prices at the moment...........

Quote Originally Posted by neil1967 View Post
    Why will their costs double - they are/should be paying tax already, it's just that they get red diesel at white diesel prices at the moment...........
    Yea, right. I looked out of the window and saw a pig flying past.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    I'm out for 4 months each summer up & down the west coast & islands from Kirkcudbright to Kinlochbervie. My boat is petrol powered. There are no waterside petrol pumps beyond the Clyde that I'm aware of, so all my fuel arrives on board by cans. I've learned where the harbours are that have a roadside supply near the water, or harbour masters who will give a lift to get fuel (Castlebay, Lochaline, Lochinver).

Doable? Yes.
    Inconvenient? Yes.
    Ludicrous? No.

Not everyone has a boat like yours, & we manage ok. It's the diesel powered leisure motor boats in far flung parts who will suffer the most.
    OK, so that we know if we are comparing similar situations, roughly how many litres of petrol(!) do you use during your four months? In the full year, I use about 400 litres of diesel.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast