Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Default Re: HMRC consultation on Red Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    Well i do ask the supplier every time i buy it and they say no FAME. Though i guess their info is only as good as what thay get told by the oil company?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    How many of your type of Yanmar are in Continental Europe running on white bio
    Good point. But it was Yanmar themselves who said no biodiesel. Wouldn't want to find out that it was an issue at the wrong time?

A question springs to mind on the subject of red diesel.
    What was the driver for removing the red diesel from use in UK.
    If it was EU driven and we are leaving the EU why are we continuing down this road.
    I honestly can't remember what else could have prompted this decision back whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Most yotties in Scotland presumably drive cars fuelled by white fuel?
    Maybe people will go back to treating engines as auxillary to the sails and only use quantities of fuel which can reasonably be bought in cans? I'm sure where there's a need there will be an entrepreneurial Scot offering the goods, and a stereotype scot moaning about the price.
    It seems that Ireland is going the same way, no green diesel after January 2020?
    Speaking as a Scot ... I moved from red to white 18 months ago after catching a dose of the diesel bug when using red.

The engine, a 35 year old VP2002, has had no issues with the Shell V-Power that I lovingly decant into its tank via a filter funnel.

I've changed from keeping the tank topped up to only adding what I need plus a buffer of c20 ltrs there is no water in the primary filter bowel so all the dire predictions of liters of condensation have yet to be realised.

Topping up is easy, I stop off at my local Shell garage and fill a jerry can. Saying all of that my total fuel used was 40 ltrs in the last year and we were in commission all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Speaking as a Scot ... I moved from red to white 18 months ago after catching a dose of the diesel bug when using red.

The engine, a 35 year old VP2002, has had no issues with the Shell V-Power that I lovingly decant into its tank via a filter funnel.

I've changed from keeping the tank topped up to only adding what I need plus a buffer of c20 ltrs there is no water in the primary filter bowel so all the dire predictions of liters of condensation have yet to be realised.

Topping up is easy, I stop off at my local Shell garage and fill a jerry can. Saying all of that my total fuel used was 40 ltrs in the last year and we were in commission all year.
    Yes, well if you only use 40 litres in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post

Does the engine run better on white diesel?
    Do you get better fuel economy ?

Presumably the pumps that now dispense red will dispense white so there will be no change in availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy52 View Post
    Presumably the pumps that now dispense red will dispense white so there will be no change in availability.
    This may be true in some places, but not universally. Those of us with boats in the less populated parts of Scotland often buy our red diesel from places that mainly serve the commercial sector - fishing boats, fish farm work boats and the like. They will continue to supply this client group so will not change to white, and it is unlikely to be economical for them to install additional pumps and tanks to supply white diesel to a small number of leisure customers.

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    A question springs to mind on the subject of red diesel.
    What was the driver for removing the red diesel from use in UK.
    If it was EU driven and we are leaving the EU why are we continuing down this road.
    I honestly can't remember what else could have prompted this decision back whenever.
    Can anyone really justify taxing diesel for a leisure yacht less than diesel for someone to drive a car to work?

At present we are still in the EU. If/when we leave, we are likely to be in some sort of transition for a few years, and after that, who knows? Maybe some sort of formal alignment of rules, but even without that, rules are tending to converge between neighbouring states.

I think it's a done deal and no good will come from resisting.
    We've had plenty of warning, the transitional system has been abused by people claiming to use lots of fuel for heating, the current position is heavy on paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_d View Post
    This may be true in some places, but not universally. Those of us with boats in the less populated parts of Scotland often buy our red diesel from places that mainly serve the commercial sector - fishing boats, fish farm work boats and the like. They will continue to supply this client group so will not change to white, and it is unlikely to be economical for them to install additional pumps and tanks to supply white diesel to a small number of leisure customers.
    But it is pretty ridiculous to have a system where only local yachts can buy fuel. If you want Scotland to be open to yachts from Ireland and the rest of the EU, then white diesel needs to be available.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast