Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Clyde cruise plan for next week

Quote Originally Posted by tyce View Post
    Thanks again for your help, its the very reason I have been using this site for 15 years, a very rich seam of knowledge.
    Im all for discovering new places my self but when teenagers are on board a little extra help goes along way to keep everyone happy.
    Setting of Tuesday wed so looking like weather may be ok.
    looking good for the end of the week, I'll be out on the Clyde from Fri-Mon next weekend. No plans where yet but If you see Shearwater say hello. If you happen to be in Brodick Tues or Thurs evening There's a good music quiz In the Ormidale hotel Tues and gen knowledge on Thurs. (I wouldn't eat there ) If that's your thing.
    Last edited by Spyro; 20-07-19 at 11:25.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCooper View Post
    If you are in Rothesay it's worth stopping a day and taking a short bus trip down to Mount Stuart - it's a gorgeous house and is a really interesting day out. The gardens are lovely too.
    If you are enterprising and fairly low draught, the pier at Kerrycroy could be worth using for Mount Stuart. I haven't been in by boat myself - yet - but the pier is in good nick although a little short of bollards and rings.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    I get what you are saying about Ardrossan but it's way too far to walk with bags or luggage from Largs train station to the marina. I still think Ardrossan would be better for a pick up and visit Largs and do the walk to town later in the week.
    How about picking up in Rothesay? Train to Wemyss Bay[1] then a short ferry ride to within yards of the pontoons.

[1] There was a young lady of Wemyss
    Who was troubled by terrible dremyss
    She woke up each night
    In a terrible fright
    And wakened the house with her scremyss.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    How about picking up in Rothesay? Train to Wemyss Bay[1] then a short ferry ride to within yards of the pontoons.

[1] There was a young lady of Wemyss
    Who was troubled by terrible dremyss
    She woke up each night
    In a terrible fright
    And wakened the house with her scremyss.
    Adding a 35 min ferry ride, what’s the point?

Adding a 35 min ferry ride, what’s the point?
    Access as easy as Ardrossan, sailing area as attractive as Largs.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCooper View Post
    If you are in Rothesay it's worth stopping a day and taking a short bus trip down to Mount Stuart - it's a gorgeous house and is a really interesting day out. The gardens are lovely too.
    If you head up to Rhu it is worth getting a taxi to Hill House if you are interested in the works of Charles Rennie Macintosh.
    Mount Stuart House is utterly mind blowing. The application of unlimited funds to house building at the turn of the 19th Century. Gorgeous or obscene ? Taxi from Rothesay isn't that expensive.
    Hill House is fascinating but rather dark and gloomy despite the Mackintosh style.

Again thanks for the help and suggestions.
    On my way in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, heading to Portpatrick first (long day) then Largs and then onward and upward.

Enjoy your trip, if you haven't been in before just be careful entering or leaving Portpatrick anywhere near low tide

Enjoy your trip, if you haven't been in before just be careful entering or leaving Portpatrick anywhere near low tide
    Good point - but I think the army blew up the really annoying rock a while back, didn't they? To make room for the new lifeboat?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast