Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Clyde cruise plan for next week

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Whilst meeting up in Ardrossan may be practical, I suspect meeting up at Largs could be a prettier introduction to the Clyde - provided luggage is wheely bag type to do the scenic promenade walk from the station.
    Also well placed to find short sheltered sails in a few directions for first trip if weather is mixed.
    A taxi would be better.

Whilst meeting up in Ardrossan may be practical, I suspect meeting up at Largs could be a prettier introduction to the Clyde..........
    Very good advice!

I walked the pathway from Largs marina to town a couple of days ago. The weather was good and it took 35 minutes. Very pleasant walk. Otherwise, thereíll be a taxi waiting outside the rail station.

The only down side to Largs is that it is a fairly expensive marina but the staff are very welcoming.

Not meaning to be disrespectful to the good people of Ardrossan but, other than the proximity of the train and supermarket, it has nothing to commend it, sadly. I was last there in May.

Arran is a must visit Island but youíll need to anchor or pick up a buoy. Well worth a whisky distillery visit at Lochranza. Iíve read that their new facility, south on the island, is now open, too so worth exploring.

Rothesay will keep the family entertained. The marina berthing manager is friendly and helpful. Very reasonable berthing costs, too.

Kyles of Bute give breathtaking views. Anchor in Caladh harbour, if youíre lucky, or nearby Wreck Bay.

I havenít been to Portavardie for a while; ELT has more to offer in the town. ELT has a brand new shower block, very nice.

If you get to ELT or Portavardie itís worth the extra 10m north to have a long lunch stop at the shoreside pub in Otterferry.

Millport, Cumbrae, is a nice Anchorage and mooring if the wind is being kind.

After many years in north Wales, Iím really enjoying cruising the Clyde. Easy waters, warm, friendly and welcoming locals, stunning scenery and 4 seasons every day!

Quote Originally Posted by tyce View Post
    Got the itinerary, got the boat just need weather to get back on track.
    I think that's sorted now.

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    Very good advice!

I walked the pathway from Largs marina to town a couple of days ago. The weather was good and it took 35 minutes. Very pleasant walk. Otherwise, there’ll be a taxi waiting outside the rail station.

The only down side to Largs is that it is a fairly expensive marina but the staff are very welcoming.

Not meaning to be disrespectful to the good people of Ardrossan but, other than the proximity of the train and supermarket, it has nothing to commend it, sadly. I was last there in May.

Arran is a must visit Island but you’ll need to anchor or pick up a buoy. Well worth a whisky distillery visit at Lochranza. I’ve read that their new facility, south on the island, is now open, too so worth exploring.

Rothesay will keep the family entertained. The marina berthing manager is friendly and helpful. Very reasonable berthing costs, too.

Kyles of Bute give breathtaking views. Anchor in Caladh harbour, if you’re lucky, or nearby Wreck Bay.

I haven’t been to Portavardie for a while; ELT has more to offer in the town. ELT has a brand new shower block, very nice.

If you get to ELT or Portavardie it’s worth the extra 10m north to have a long lunch stop at the shoreside pub in Otterferry.

Millport, Cumbrae, is a nice Anchorage and mooring if the wind is being kind.

After many years in north Wales, I’m really enjoying cruising the Clyde. Easy waters, warm, friendly and welcoming locals, stunning scenery and 4 seasons every day!
    Best phone and check that otters ferry restaurant is open first !

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    Best phone and check that otters ferry restaurant is open first !
    Serious question; is there doubt? I've only been a couple of time but not had a problem. I've just googled the OysterCatcher and the website shows it open from 12h00, serving food from 12h00 to 15h00 and from 18h00 to 20h00

It's open but very busy. We tried to book last Saturday but fully booked. The pasta on board was quite nice.
    Donald

Thanks again for your help, its the very reason I have been using this site for 15 years, a very rich seam of knowledge.
    Im all for discovering new places my self but when teenagers are on board a little extra help goes along way to keep everyone happy.
    Setting of Tuesday wed so looking like weather may be ok.

If you are in Rothesay it's worth stopping a day and taking a short bus trip down to Mount Stuart - it's a gorgeous house and is a really interesting day out. The gardens are lovely too.
    If you head up to Rhu it is worth getting a taxi to Hill House if you are interested in the works of Charles Rennie Macintosh.

Whilst meeting up in Ardrossan may be practical, I suspect meeting up at Largs could be a prettier introduction to the Clyde - provided luggage is wheely bag type to do the scenic promenade walk from the station.
    Also well placed to find short sheltered sails in a few directions for first trip if weather is mixed.
    I get what you are saying about Ardrossan but it's way too far to walk with bags or luggage from Largs train station to the marina. I still think Ardrossan would be better for a pick up and visit Largs and do the walk to town later in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCooper View Post
    If you are in Rothesay it's worth stopping a day and taking a short bus trip down to Mount Stuart - it's a gorgeous house and is a really interesting day out. The gardens are lovely too.
    If you head up to Rhu it is worth getting a taxi to Hill House if you are interested in the works of Charles Rennie Macintosh.
    Good point about https://www.mountstuart.com/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast