Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Clyde cruise plan for next week

Hi,

I am heading up to the Clyde next week for about 10 days with wife and two teenagers. I am coming up from Fleetwood so am going to do the long hit my self and they are travelling up by train to do the fun bits.
    Weather is looking very good at the moment so question is if you had 10 days to a week where would you recommend as the best places to visit in the Clyde. Don't really want to push up through Crinan as time is tight and family are fair weather sailors so bumble around the Clyde before heading back south is the plan.

Any recommendations of great anchorages etc would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Clyde cruise plan for next week

You will have no problem finding places to go . what size of boat are we talking about? A lot will depend how much time you want to spend off the boat and what facilities you are looking for .
    Where are you meeting up with family several of the Marinas ardrossan troon Kip James watt and largs have nearby train stations and of course whilst Glasgow is on the river it’s a long way up
    You could try something like largs lamlash Campbelltown Lochranza Tarbert / Portavadie (best showers) lochgair/otters ferry but wouldn’t go further up lochfyne Kames colintraive Holy loch lochgoilhead as a nice round trip with a mixture of marinas and anchorages but all depends on the weather and wind directions
    Worth (no essential)getting CCC directions and the much criticised Welcome Anchorages FOC is also useful you can download it
    Don’t forget the sun cream and midge repellent

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    ... Worth (no essential)getting CCC directions and the much criticised Welcome Anchorages FOC is also useful you can download it ...
    Agree about the CCC pilots, well worth purchasing as it has all the info you need.

As to Welcome Anchorages, it is not worth the cost. Used to be great but is now more inaccurate than accurate. Shame as it could be so good again.

As to places, The Kyles of Bute in particular, Burnt Island anchorage, Caladh if there is space but possibly moorings in the way, Kane’s Hotel has moorings and good food, Colintraive has moorings but the restaurant was not as good as its reputation. Portavadie to pamper the family with spa etc. Are a few of my old favourites when on the Clyde.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

The weather is looking shit next week. Strong winds and a cold front on Monday with a possibility of a secondary depression. Watch the weather very carefully.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Thanks for the suggestions very helpful and sounds like I have a rough plan to follow. Boat is 35ft AWB so up for most things.
    Ah the weather, got up this morning and checked and its all changed, will keep an eye on it.

If They are going by train I'd pick them up at Ardrossan (Clyde Marina). The train stop is about 150m from the marina. There's an ASDA 150m from the marina for provisioning. From there I'd head for Arran, brodick or Lamlash. There's distilleries to visit at lochranza or the new one that's just opened at Lagg. Climb Goatfel if the weather is good. Head for Cambeltown sail up Kilbranan sound to Lochranza, Tarbert and/or Portavadie. Sail round the Kyles of Bute There's mooring at Kames or Colintraive, Visit Rothesay, Largs, Millport. If you are heading south with family Portpatrick would be a good stopover.
    Last edited by Spyro; 18-07-19 at 13:49.

Make sure you visit Nardini's in Largs best ice cream in the known universe.

If you need any charts etc I can lend you some - if you want drop me a pm.

Thanks for your help everyone and kind offer of charts. Got the charts earlier in the year whilst planning but thanks anyway most kind.
    Got the itinerary, got the boat just need weather to get back on track.

Whilst meeting up in Ardrossan may be practical, I suspect meeting up at Largs could be a prettier introduction to the Clyde - provided luggage is wheely bag type to do the scenic promenade walk from the station.
    Also well placed to find short sheltered sails in a few directions for first trip if weather is mixed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast