Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Clyde cruise plan for next week

Re Mount Stuart - anchor off the boathouse, land at the slip, pay in the office (or claim right to roam if you are mean).

I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip - the forecast looks great! I recently had some trouble with a guard vessel for the windfarms ordering me to keep at least 500m away from any structure. He doesn't have authority to do this and I have since received an apology from Orsted. If he does the same with you the emergency number to call is 07879 431220. To quote from their reply "There is no compulsory exclusion zone around any Windfarm, the area of the Windfarm outside of the actual Turbine position is classed as open sea. For clarification the only area where the navigation rights have been extinguished is at each turbine position, which means if you hit one you are in trouble. There is of course a mandatory 500 meter Safety Exclusion Zone in force whenever a Jack-up or installation vessel is pulled up alongside a Turbine." I hope this helps and once again have a good trip. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Good point - but I think the army blew up the really annoying rock a while back, didn't they? To make room for the new lifeboat?
    It wasn't a rock I touched, just nice soft sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    It wasn't a rock I touched, just nice soft sand.
    Does that count as a "small mercy"? I like Portpatrick, but prefer the tide to be in. Those ladders ...
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Cheers Steve, they really are a P.I.T.A . when they want to be.

I've recently bought a boat and we hail from Millport(although I'm not at home at the moment)

Millport is a nice anchorage or you can pick up the blue visitor moorings on the pier side of the bay, theres an honesty box on the pier(which is currently being repaired, no problem to come in by dinghy though).

We went up to Tarbert recently for the first time and its a lovely little marina and town, i would highly recommend it.

Hope the weathers kind to you, it's a lovely part of the world when the weathers nice.

Anchor at Carradale on east coast of Kintyre - beautiful spot. Lamlash bay has some moorings or just drop anchor between Holy Isle and Arran.

Kyles of Bute is a must and with anchoring at Tignhaburgh.

If needed, worth diving into Largs or Troon to pick up supplies and re-fuel etc. Have a great trip.

How did your trip go?

Where did you end up visiting?

How did your trip go?

Where did you end up visiting?

Just back last night after an 18 day trip. Was going to do a little report to help others doing similar but since you asked....
    Had a great time and all the help on here made it a whole lot easier and fun, trip went as follows-
    Me and son took boat to Largs via Portpatrick (really liked PP).

Wife and daughter joined in Largs. Its worth mentioning the train fare, it cost from Barrow in Furness to Largs for both of them £22 in total which I was gobsmacked at and upgrade to first class for another £20 which they did. These prices were there as long as you booked at least a day before. What was crazy is if you book the Lancaster to Glasgow leg by itself it was 5 times the price, crazy.

Night in Largs then onto Loch Goil with lunch stop at the castle half way up and very nice meal in the hotel, we had a great night here sheltered on the moorings, woke up to glass calm water being circled by porpoises and an otter a little further off. Plenty of Mackerel too.
    Then it was wanging it down so we had a night in Holy Loch Marina and ate at the dog friendly pub across the road, good and cheap.
    Then onto a night in Rothesay and possibly the worst fish and chips ever (not the one on the Harbourside).
    Then a couple of lovely nights in the Kyles 1 night at Colintraive and the other in Tighnabruaich using the moorings there.
    We were lucky and got Caladh anchorage all to ourselves on a lovely calm day.
    Then a nice lunch stop in Loch Riddor tucked in behind the island, really enjoyed it there it was flat calm, hot and sunny.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif

My trusty sailing companion keeping guard of her boat from the island at Riddor.

Then couple of nights in Tarbert.
    Then down to Loch Ranza which I loved and treated myself to a rather fine bottle of Whiskey and got up close and personal with 7 huge stags on the way back from the distillery, then had a lovely BBQ on the beach.

Sea on fire at Loch Ranza

Then Campbletown and had a huge whale breach about 30foot from the boat which caused a lot of excitement on board for a couple nights waiting for the weather to go from the Southerlies so we could start heading home which never happened so we decided to head back to Brodick.
    Brodick proved the ideal place for crew getting the ferry over to Ardrossan then jumping on the train again at ridiculously cheap prices a grand total of ferry costs and train fare totalled £38 for a family of 3, unbelievable value.
    I took the boat back via Stranraer a good slog with a force 5/6 on the nose all the way.
    Then a cracking sail round the mull with 11 knots over the ground to Whitehaven rarely dropping below 8knots all the way and regularly in the 9's with tide assist.
    Then home.

Apologies for rambling on a bit but I found all your posts really helpful so hopefully my follow up will help others.
    Weather was perfect, Southerlies for getting up there, nothing above a force 3/4 all the time there and lots of calm days and nights and apart from two rainy days it was shorts and T-shirt weather, oh and the midges, only really came across them in Ranza but only ashore nothing on the boat.
    Never struggled to find a berth or mooring anywhere and was surprised at how quiet it all was.
    My favourite place was Arran, its quite simply stunning and would like to go back and spend a lot longer there, other favourites with the family were Tarbert and Loch Goil.
    All in all a brilliant trip family enjoyed it which is the main thing 12 ports visited and 560miles done and only issue with the boat the whole trip was the ensign staff had swollen in its socket so couldn't get it out when I got back on the mooring!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast