Default Luff reefing spars

I have sailed boats with luff reefing spars made by Furlex, Harken and Hood. and I have never had any problen with them. I am now looking at buying a Hunter Delta (25ft) with a Plastimo luff reefing spar of uncertain age. I know these are only half or a third the cost of the makes I have previously used. The owner says it works fine and has had no problems with it. Does the forum have any opinion?

Default Re: Luff reefing spars

If the bearings feel ok and the sail hoists up the furler easily then it's probably ok. Cheaper is not always craper! Also it depends on how you are going to use the boat, if it's for hard on racing, then it might not last quite so long but for normal w/e cruising it should be adequate.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

We just had some fun with a Plastimo furler, when the top swivel lost the eye that the sail is hooked to. Due to its age, early 80s, and the diameter of the foil, no new parts. Had to rebuild the top swivel with a stainless sleeve. Not something that you would want to do....as in, only economic if you can do it yourself.

My Snapdragon is a foot shorter than the Hunter and had the ancestor of the Plastimo 406 fitted when we bought the boat. I've no idea how old it was when we bought the boat, but it didn't look new. It died after 10-12 years in our ownership in spite of being undersized for our boat. The 609 I replaced it with a couple of years ago has been faultless.

Does it turn freely? can you wind the genny in without difficulty? If so it's probably fine. If not, try tensioning the genny halyard a bit. If it does jam, don't force it - it's not hard to damage the forestay, but that applies to all roller furlers, not just Plastimo.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.