Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Hitler couldn't "sink" it, but the MCA will

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Here is a clip from an incident some years ago between an RNR minesweeper, HMS Fittleton and the frigate HMS Mermaid. Lots of 'lessons learned'.

Fittleton was caught in a low pressure area that exists near to the hull of a ship under way and was drawn close to the frigate HMS Mermaid by hydrodynamic forces. A minor collision ensued and the Fittleton moved forward to try and exit the situation but instead was hit amidships by the bow of the much larger Mermaid and turned over within a minute. Thirty-two survivors were picked from the sea and the upturned hull by the accompanying ships,[1] and German and Dutch vessels joined Royal Navy ships in searching for survivors, with divers entering the floating upturned hull. Attempts to keep Fittleton afloat by passing minesweeping cables underneath her propellor shafts failed when the lines parted.[1] The ship sank several hours later, between 9 and 10 pm, in 160 feet (49 m) of water.[1]
    Thank you; perfect example.

There are numerous videos of the Halbony being run down by the Viking Syble.

It appears the bow wave of the much larger Viking Syble pushed the aft end of the Halbony to the side forcing the smaller vessel across the bows of the larger one. Sadly it was sufficient to cause a capsize because the Halbony had a relatively low freeboard.

Without being rammed the Halbony was a very stable craft.

There is a video somewhere of a similar event in the Mallaca Straights where a VLCC overtakes a comparatively tiny (as in 90,000 tones) freighter. Once the bow wave catches of the VLCC catches the rear of the much smaller ship, the stern of smaller ship is pushed to the side across the bow of the VLCC spinning it about like a toy. There is absolutely nothing the master of either ship could do once it was set up.

Last edited by Tomahawk; 18-07-19 at 12:57.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    It is odd that old cars, nowhere near the age of some of these vessels, are viewed in a totally different way. I have a 1972 three-wheeler that is exempt from MOT and tax. It is awaiting restoration and is currently a death trap but I could legally drive it on the road.
    Indeed. My Son's Series Land Rover has just passed its MOT but the brakes, steering, lighting and tyres, even though as good as when it left the factory almost 40 years ago, are so far below current standards that I would also class it as a death trap on wheels. Of course, its not used to transport paying customers but that's the only distinction and it could take any number of members of the public with it if it goes amok

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    This is not new. The Medway Queen paddle steamer, veteran of Dunkirk, is being restored. The hull has been completely rebuilt, but they changed the main keel as well due to rust. This meant is was not a restored hull, but a new one. So now modern safety regulations apply. Due to its stability calculations, it would not be able to carry hundreds of passengers as planned - but now restricted to only 12 paying passengers! (once engines are fitted) So this vessel will not be able to pay its way like the Waverley. Its destiny will probably be as a ship permanently tied to a drying wharf on the Medway.
    That's not the MCAs fault. It's parliament's, for passing the rules which the MCA enforce. Oh, won't it be great when we are out of the EU and back to traditional light-touch UK regulation?

Also, I believe that Abel's were supposed to re-use the keel but decided not to off their own bat and without realising the consequences.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    It is odd that old cars, nowhere near the age of some of these vessels, are viewed in a totally different way. I have a 1972 three-wheeler that is exempt from MOT and tax. It is awaiting restoration and is currently a death trap but I could legally drive it on the road.
    Technically speaking, you can't. You may not need an MOT, but it still has to be roadworthy and meet construction and use regulations.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Balbas View Post
    No you couldn't. It doesn't need an MoT, but to drive it on the road in an unroadworthy condition is still an offence.
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Technically speaking, you can't. You may not need an MOT, but it still has to be roadworthy and meet construction and use regulations.
    There must be an echo in here...

Quote Originally Posted by Balbas View Post
    There must be an echo in here...
    And both have missed the true impact of Vyv's observation as detailed in post #33.

Richard

Quite, any three wheeler with a single wheel at the front is (was) inherently unstable. Those with two at the front, rather less so.
    But this thing with the fee paying pleasure craft is nothing new. We had a brief stay at the Tides Inn(Chesapeake) back in '91. One of their big deals was the evening cruises and crab dinners on their 90 odd foot turn of the century mobo. Except, the USCG had just banned them from using it. They deemed that even though you did not pay specifically for the cruise, since you paid to stay at the resort, it was considered comercial. So they had to use a GRP mobo for the trips. We didn't bother..
    Bit later, they had it back in use, but only with px on the upper deck, nobody below. This was all about fire riskn with so much classic wood, even theough the hull was rivitted iron.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Indeed. My Son's Series Land Rover has just passed its MOT but the brakes, steering, lighting and tyres, even though as good as when it left the factory almost 40 years ago, are so far below current standards that I would also class it as a death trap on wheels.
    Would you like to quantify that statement.

Brian
    Kddpowercentre VASR charge

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon View Post
    Would you like to quantify that statement.

Brian
    Just take a look at a Land Rover (the proper ones not the Chelsea tractors) like all vehicles of their (design's) age they lack such basic safety measures as crumple zones to protect both the occupants and those they might be unfortunate enough to hit, often still have side facing seats and inadequate restraints.. The developments in both technology and and regulation are the main contributor to the massive increase in road safety in the last few decades.

I'd hope that a coach of similar vintage would be prohibited from plying for trade, for much the same reasons as the boat under discussion.
    Last edited by Elecglitch; 18-07-19 at 19:55.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast