Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Hitler couldn't "sink" it, but the MCA will

This is the same outfit that is consulting on a badly written document that doesn't make much sense as well as sacking experienced officers for not following arbitrary instructions.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

This is not new. The Medway Queen paddle steamer, veteran of Dunkirk, is being restored. The hull has been completely rebuilt, but they changed the main keel as well due to rust. This meant is was not a restored hull, but a new one. So now modern safety regulations apply. Due to its stability calculations, it would not be able to carry hundreds of passengers as planned - but now restricted to only 12 paying passengers! (once engines are fitted) So this vessel will not be able to pay its way like the Waverley. Its destiny will probably be as a ship permanently tied to a drying wharf on the Medway.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    This is not new. The Medway Queen paddle steamer, veteran of Dunkirk, is being restored. The hull has been completely rebuilt, but they changed the main keel as well due to rust. This meant is was not a restored hull, but a new one. So now modern safety regulations apply. Due to its stability calculations, it would not be able to carry hundreds of passengers as it safely did for it's entire life before the rebuild - but now restricted to only 12 paying passengers! (once engines are fitted) So this vessel will not be able to pay its way like the Waverley. Its destiny will probably be as a ship permanently tied to a drying wharf on the Medway.
    I hope you don't mind my slight edit?
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan99210 View Post
    Same sort of thing has happened to WW2 vintage aircraft. New regulations meant that they could no longer be used in commercial flights. Not sure what Hitler has to do with this though?
    ????

https://www.virginexperiencedays.co....gNxA&gclsrc=ds

Imagine the forum howling if one sinks and there is a tragic loss of life?

Damned professional dont know what they are doing why wasnt there any regulations why dont the authorities stamp on this kind of thing wah wah wah.

So instead we get wasnt like that in my day let them drown serves em right we werent mollycoddled namby pamby wah wah wah.

Probably from the same people.

Stuff, like people, get old and are no longer, to use that eternal phrase on here when the slightest thing goes wrong, 'fit for purpose'.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

It is odd that old cars, nowhere near the age of some of these vessels, are viewed in a totally different way. I have a 1972 three-wheeler that is exempt from MOT and tax. It is awaiting restoration and is currently a death trap but I could legally drive it on the road.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    Link❓
    Its just been on the beeb news. What are the facts, how many accidents,deaths have happened to impose these "proposed" changes

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    It is odd that old cars, nowhere near the age of some of these vessels, are viewed in a totally different way. I have a 1972 three-wheeler that is exempt from MOT and tax. It is awaiting restoration and is currently a death trap but I could legally drive it on the road.
    Good point. Your three wheeler and your boat both come under the jurisdiction of the same Ministry - the Department for Transport - headed of course by Chris Grayling...

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    No you couldn't. It doesn't need an MoT, but to drive it on the road in an unroadworthy condition is still an offence.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast