Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Hitler couldn't "sink" it, but the MCA will

Back to boats

good idea
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Quite, any three wheeler with a single wheel at the front is (was) inherently unstable.
    Why would you think that to be the case? I had a Reliant Rialto for a couple of years. It was immense fun, mainly because of having 40hp for three fifths of stuff all weight. Sure, you had to be a little careful not to brake and steer sharply at the same time, as it didn't like throwing weight on a wheel which wasn't there, but just about any car can be rolled if you try and that doesn't make them "inherently unstable".

Two-at-the-front-one-at-the-back is a better layout, but the opposite works fine. See "all commercial aircraft" for other examples.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    I'd hope that a coach of similar vintage would be prohibited from plying for trade, for much the same reasons as the boat under discussion.
    The most frightening road journey I ever made was from Edinburgh City Centre to the airport in an ex-London Routemaster which was for a while operated by a rival to Lothian Buses. At any speed over about 25pm the whole thing shuddered violently and swerved constantly to the edges of its lane and occasionally beyond. Steering geometry? What steering geometry? Unfortunately I was running late for a flight so had no time to do what I should have and report it to the cops.

However, that was bad maintenance rather than intrinsic design shortcomings.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Balbas View Post
    3) Most people don't press the pedal hard enough - something recognised by (I think it was mercedes first) the industry and why modern cars are fitted with 'brake assist' which automatically applies the brakes if the system detects an emergency braking scenario (dunno about the latest systems, but the first used the rate of application of the brakes as the trigger I believe).
    I think Citroën got there first with the ID, which was the cheaper version of the DS, with hydraulic suspension but everything else conventional, including the brakes. If you braked really heavily in them, a valve opened and fed suspension fluid at full pressure to the brake system, giving a very powerful emergency brake assist. Unfortunately it was used so seldom that the transfer valve tended to corrode and then jam open when it operated. As a result the full contents of the suspension system - about a gallon - would be transferred into the brake system, blowing the top off the brake reservoir and producing a mist of fluid which completely enveloped the car. Since the fluid was mostly glycol (with a bit of castor oil) this rather effectively stripped the paint from the entire car.

After a few years the emergency assist system was discontinued.

I tought we were talking about floaty things
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Balbas View Post
    No you couldn't. It doesn't need an MoT, but to drive it on the road in an unroadworthy condition is still an offence.
    Yes I know that but seized brake cylinders and leaking drive shaft gaiters don't show up on CCTV.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    'twould be appreciated, but as an occasional culprit of fred-drifting myself, I ought to tolerate a few "landy" drifts
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    I thought we were talking about how long designs for public transports systems might reasonably be allowed to remain in service.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I thought we were talking about how long designs for public transports systems might reasonably be allowed to remain in service.
    Hopefully someone will move the thread to the lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    Hopefully someone will move the thread to the lounge.
    Hitler couldn't "sink" this thread, but Elecglitch will.

Richard

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast